Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Mississippi 44"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
Gulf, everything looks pretty good. The WFO's seem to good a bit faster the pan us newbies expect. My turkey was up to temp at least 30 minutes before I thought was even possible. Wishing you a happy holiday. Thanks for sharing your experience. Bruce
Thanks Bruce,

You are right about trying to use grill or conventional oven times as a base for cooking in these things. Though, I have noticed on several cooks: pork, beef and poultry, that the WFO is very forgiving when it comes to over cooking .

That has saved me several times .

Happy holidays to you and yours,

Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gulf; 11-28-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Journeyman

Gulf, we have politely waited for you to recover from your turkey day excess. Inquiring minds want to know your critique of the food and changes (if any) you would make for the next occasion. Look forward to hearing from you. Bruce

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 12-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Gulf, we have politely waited for you to recover from your turkey day excess. Inquiring minds want to know your critique of the food and changes (if any) you would make for the next occasion. Look forward to hearing from you. Bruce
I think that I covered what I am sure went wrong with the bread, even though it was still good. It was the first time that I have tried baking sourdough in the covered roasting pans or the dutch oven. I'll definately be trying that again. I have done it a few times on greased cookie sheets. I still haven't tried putting the loaves straight on the floor of the oven, though. But, I will eventually.

As for as the dry-brining; I think that I am hooked on it! I don't think that I would change anything about that. I think that the dry-brine and the plastic bags are the way to go. I got to see first hand how the salt pulled the moisture from the birds. It's kind of crazy, but on the 3rd day of dry-brining, most of the liquid is not rolling around in the plastic bag. It has been pulled back in to the bird. No extra water, just what was pulled out of the meat in the first couple of days.

Next time, I'll be checking the temps earlier, and will be leaving the meat thermometers in for a quick reference. Even with over shooting the internal temps, the meat was still juicy and the flavor was all the way to the bone. I've read where these ovens are forgiving on missing the finishing temps. I have also read that brining (in general) is also. I'm not sure which had the most effect on the birds still turning out great. But, I'll be staying with the dry-brining.............And, the WFO of course

As for as the smoke: I'm not advising that just yet. I only left the smoke in for about 30 minutes. The ovens might run a little too hot for it to be effective for much more time than this. There was only a slight hint of smoke in the flavor of the birds. But, it was just enough for everyone who commented on it. I'll be playing with the smoker some more in the near future.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

16 to zip at the half

DJ,
How about going ahead and pming me with your address . I moved things over here. I feel bad about hijacking Bruce's thread. But, two pages dedicated to chitlins has got to be a record for this forum .

Old 01-11-2014, 03:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gulf,

Auburn lead Florida all the way until the 4th quarter then folded. Maybe a little of divine intervention is possible with the Saints!

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 01-11-2014, 03:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Gulf,

Auburn lead Florida all the way until the 4th quarter then folded. Maybe a little of divine intervention is possible with the Saints!
The heavens have opened up. The rain has quit falling for at least 8 points!

We have always been a little sacrilegious down here when comes to the SAINTS .
deejayoh likes this.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

23 to 15 Seattle

Congratulations DJ,

I'm looking forward to a pic of your winnings .

Old 01-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
The heavens have opened up. The rain has quit falling for at least 8 points!

We have always been a little sacrilegious down here when comes to the SAINTS .
Missed you guys. Gulf, thought you might have got your miricle finish after the on side kick. Congrats to DJ. Bruce

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 01-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Missed you guys. Gulf, thought you might have got your miricle finish after the on side kick. Congrats to DJ. Bruce
Bruce,
Well at least I can grill/cook SuperSunday, not worrying if i will miss too much of the game .

DJ,
How about that pm with your adress?................................. I guess ya'll are still partyin' .

Old 01-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Bruce,
Well at least I can grill/cook SuperSunday, not worrying if i will miss too much of the game .
Hope you post your "super menu".