Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Mississippi 44"

Cleared the dome at 5:30 pm. About 30 minutes later, the fire had burned down to just coals, and I closed the insulated door. Went inside and kneaded six sourdough boules for their second rise.

Tomorrow is going to come early. It is forecasted to be 21 degrees tonight . Thanksgiving is supposed to be "short sleeved" weather in Mississippi ....... Bread, two large hens, and a ham. I am glad, for sure, that the rest of the meal is being prepared inside..............by the womenfolk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gulf; 11-27-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wink Re: Mississippi 44"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Cleared the dome at 5:30 pm. About 30 minutes later, the fire had burned down to just coals, and I closed the insulated door. Went inside and kneaded six sourdough boules for their second rise.

Tomorrow is going to come early. It is forecasted to be 21 degrees tonight . Thanksgiving is supposed to be "short sleeved" weather in Mississippi ....... Bread, two large hens, and a ham. I am glad, for sure, that the rest of the meal is being prepared inside..............by the womenfolk
Gudday
Got down to 19 last night ..... But that C not F. Converts to 66 F.
I think 21 F converts to about -7 C ,a temp we just never see. I can see that extra insulation is a plus at this time of year for you
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 11-28-2013, 09:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Got a late start this morning. It took longer for me to get going this morning, than I expected. 24 degrees . The oven was cleaned out and the 1st batch of bread was in by 8:15. The side walls were @ 435.

Left them in there 30 minutes. The bread in the thin pots were done but, the bread in the cast iron had not browned. I did not preheat it, so it had to back in for about 15 more minutes.

Not exactly pretty, I should have left them in the garage last night to retard the rise. They kind of fell like a cake. Oh well. The second batch of bread is in the oven, and the hens are waiting their turn.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The rest of the sourdough is out. The hens and the ham went in about 10.

When a southerner says, "Hey ya'll, watch this!" something stupid usually is about to happen .

Last edited by Gulf; 11-28-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'll be over after while.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Gulf,

Your attempts at bread are much more successful than my attempts. So bad were mine I would not even post a pic. Happy T day to y' all and to all the others on the forum.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 11-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That little contraption in the middle in the above post is a home-made sawdust smoker. It is loaded with saw dust and a few medalions that I cut from a seasoned apple limb.

But, I only left in there, for about 30 minutes before I.............. "chickened out" . I'll be trying it again, someday (probably on some baby backs). But, (remembering a warning that Dave mentioned on KB's thread: It might not be wise to experiment too much today .

Last edited by Gulf; 11-28-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I thought for sure that I had ruined the birds. I should have checked them earlier. They probed 175 when I decided to check them after about 2 hours. I mistakenly thought that the huge chunk of cold ham right by them would suck the temperature out of the oven.

The skin was nice and crisp, but the even the white meat was moist. I did not like white meat,.......... until today .

Everybody liked the ham too! But, it was fully cooked and hickory smoked. I just reheated it.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Hey Gulf,........... Happy T day to y' all and to all the others on the forum.
Thanks Russell,
The same to you and everybody from me!

Tom,
Ya'll back "home" for Thanksgiving?

Old 11-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Journeyman

Gulf, everything looks pretty good. The WFO's seem to good a bit faster the pan us newbies expect. My turkey was up to temp at least 30 minutes before I thought was even possible. Wishing you a happy holiday. Thanks for sharing your experience. Bruce

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein