Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 05:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Mississippi 44"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Maybe so, but if I posted pictures of my tool hoard, I would crash the site and my cpu would explode....just sayin.
You Win!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
You Win!!
I don't know about that.

Side point....I am going to try and cast some counter-tops with the next couple weeks using a new technique.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 10-26-2013, 06:05 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I don't know about that.

Side point....I am going to try and cast some counter-tops with the next couple weeks using a new technique.
Cool I be watching with great interest.

KB

Old 11-25-2013, 09:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

This morning, I started on the "birds" for Thankgiving. Not turkey but, a couple of large baking hens. I am trying something new, at least new for me. I've never really tried dry brining before, but it sounds interesting. When I did a search for it, I saw that it brought out a lot of discussion. I found enough positive comments on dry brining that I am going to give it a shot. This report from the LA Times is probably what swayed me. This is their recipe that goes along with the video

Again, I'm not doing turkey but, the recipe they are using was adapted from one for a dry brined roast chicken by Cafe Zuni. My two birds have been salted and sealed in freezer bags and have been placed in the fridge. I did add a little brown sugar, ground peppercorn, ground sea salt and a little Citrus Grill seasoning to the kosher salt. Not pictured, is some smoked black pepper that I added.

This dry rub "concoction" may turn out to be a bust! I'll find out Thursday . In case it does,......... maybe........... the ham will turn out OK .
Attached Thumbnails
Mississippi 44"-roasts-006.jpg  

Last edited by Gulf; 11-25-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

ooh. I have had that roast chicken at Cafe Zuni. It's fantastic. I forgot that they did those in their WFO

Old 11-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

We often roast chickens in our little oven, often two at a time. My son in law won't let us cook chicken any other way. They are so moist in the WFO.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Joe,

Going to be watching ya closely. With the only the two of us home, turkeys are just too big for us to cook but chickens are just right so interest to see how a dry brine works.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 11-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Gulf
Another watching with interest . Brining I'm not a big fan of and offer reading the article I realize why , it is a little to moist and the texture does change.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 11-25-2013, 07:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday Gulf
Another watching with interest . Brining I'm not a big fan of and offer reading the article I realize why , it is a little to moist and the texture does change.
Regards dave
Dave,
You probably would have "loved" some of the baked turkeys that I have "endured" over the years .

Old 11-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Dave,
You probably would have "loved" some of the baked turkeys that I have "endured" over the years .
So dry that your face sucked in were they?
Gulf likes this.