Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Mississippi 44"

You need to make the outer arch bigger than the inner arch so that you do not have to have a 2 piece door.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sorry Tscarborough

I know that my terminology has a lot to be desired. My "Internal Arch" is actually a good bit smaller than the two arches which make up the backbone for my chimney/fireplace. I refer to them as the "Heat-Break" and "Outside" arches.
I refer to the heat-break arch by that name because there will be a heat-break between it an the internal (oven entry) arch. My oven door should fit easily through the fireplace arches.

If I had had only 30 more minutes of daylight, I could have got a pic that would have made this a little easier to explain but I could already hear those three familiar frogs croaking: Bud, Weis and Er

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 01-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
but I could already hear those three familiar frogs croaking: Bud, Weis and Er
Funny......

Old 01-02-2012, 08:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

These shots show all 3 arches completed.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm cutting the brick to rack into about 24" this morning.

Well I guess it's warm enough now to mix some mortor

Old 01-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Smile Re: Mississippi 44"

I angled the cuts for 4 rows. The 5th was a little to steep for my HD saw. I had hoped to go up to where the width for the flu transition would start at about 24. The 4th row left me at about a 25 width. Close enough. The side walls of the flu transiton will start here.

On row 5 I turned a row up, which allowed me to lay the brick on its side at the saw to cut the curve to fit the arch.

To get the angle for this cut, I had to figure out where the transition would end. I stopped it about 18 above the arch. I decided to make the inside diameter of the transition 11 X 11 . The distance between the entry arches was 11 . This allowed me to uncomplicate the cuts by keeping the front and back walls vertical while only angling the side walls.

EDIT: for the most part it is level it is just by this time of day " I get a little sideways". And I'm the one who has to aim the d__n camera

Last edited by Gulf; 01-07-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

[IMG][/IMG]
One brick on each corner had to have the angle of the transition and the angle of the arch. It took the HD, my small tile saw and the tool in the picture to finnish up these cuts.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Smile Re: Mississippi 44"

Well this is the basic idea.

A flu transition made of brick: Basic construction concept perfected by the egyptians some 4'000 years ago and incorporated by at least one redneck in a WFO in the final year (according to the Mayens).

I have ran out of brick and time. I will try and edit some of the steps when I have more of both. But for now, them frogs are croaking again

Old 01-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well its different.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I agree it is different from anything that I have seen on my searches. There is a wealth of information on this site and I have not searched every build. I have looked at a lot of different ways of transitioning and I have seen a lot of good ideas on the subject. I settled on a way that would get a little more value out of the HD saw. I think it is structurally sound and will distribute the weight of anything I decide to put on top of it. I will admit that it will eat up some firebrick, though. To have 2 different angles converging at the corners and being at the same height, both sides have to be cut equal to the same amount of rise.

There will be some waist, but for the 18" I have to climb, I think it will worth it. And also (if it doesn't work out) maybe future builders can learn from my mistakes