Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Mississippi 44"

Thanks’ Russell,
My maters got a late start for our growing season. But, I think they will be doing just fine when most others have fizzled out down here. Yes, I saw those pics and was a little jealous . Well there is always next year. The seeds from these San Marzanos will get an early start. That is if they are “heirloom” tomatoes. I think that I read somewhere that they were. If not, I still have about 20 or so left from what you sent me .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Apprentice

Looks great. At this time, I'm planning to brick my dome with half bricks. The splits you used look easier.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtloup View Post
Looks great. At this time, I'm planning to brick my dome with half bricks. The splits you used look easier.
Thank's Kurt,
They are relatively easy to apply, if the surface that they are applied to is uniform. I took a few extra pains to get the dome fairly close to being a true sphere with the revolving vcrete form before applying the stucco base.
Even then, I did notice where a few small humps and low spots in the stucco layer required a little adjusting with the amount of "butter" from the 3/8" notched trial. Some times it took a thicker or thinner brick to make up the difference.

I love the look of a brick finished pompeii oven. I'm looking forward to see your finished dome.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You got me green there, Gulf. Looks very good, professional even. Progress has stopped on mine, late work days and full weekends with no end in sight.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 05-18-2013, 06:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

. Really nice Gulf, a very unique look. I agree that there is always something else to do when the current version looks great to others but not perfect to the originator, or in your case ARTIST...

Chip
Old 05-18-2013, 08:34 AM
Master Builder

Looks great. I may have missed it but what stone is that?
Old 05-18-2013, 08:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks ya'll, very much!

V-wiz, They are mostly face cut flooring splits from old brick . I got 3 cuts from each whole face brick.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I took a little time away from brick ,other than cutting the fire brick for the very last heat break. That being between the entry and the landing.

I had to spend a little time on the yard this weekend, but managed to work on some oven tools. I found these bamboo
cutting boards at "Walley World".

I cut and notched them to fit the spacing sticks that I mentioned earlier. The oak sticks are used to space hardwood lumber in a kiln numerous times before they are discarded.

They ended up with a payload of 11" X 12 ".

The handles may be a little long but they will allow me to cut them down as I see fit, with some experience.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you have the capacity, cut them full of slots. The slotted peel is a miraculous thing.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
If you have the capacity, cut them full of slots. The slotted peel is a miraculous thing.
If it is made out of wood, I have the "capacity". Can you elaborate ? .........On second thought,I've seen the metal slotted peels.

I think ,that I could do that with the wooden peel, if you think that would work,