Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Mississippi 44"

All right ya'll,
Here is the location of this mill with driving directions from the Dome.

There are small mills like this all over the Southeast of the US of A.

A retired friend of mine follows the seasons in a camper. He once told me that he searches for cabinet shops, and furniture manufacturing shops in the areas that he camps. He said that he is able to get the wood for his campfires for little or nothing in most cases. Another old retired friend of mine who lived across from my mother-in-law made hardwood rockers, gliders, swings etc. He had lots of scraps that he used to burn in his fireplace. An artisan like him may be a source for some wood. (Except in NOLA) I think that all construction materials sold in the "Big Easy" must be treated due to Formosa termite.

Tu,
Even a rounded pickup load (about 1/2 cord) of split red oak, delivered, over here is about 100 bucks. These guys only have to drive about 10 country miles to deliver in most cases. They cut and split the trunks to get a quick load and leave another load of oven sized limbs on the ground. I try to find where they are cutting and scavenge behind them.

Next time that I go for lotto tickets (just across the MS/LA line) I'll bring you a pickup load.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gulf; 05-13-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow, load er up. What a deal.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

150 miles one way is not too bad, you just need a big enough vehicle to justify it.
I travel about that far to scavenge good firewood, I can get other stuff locally but it doesnt burn the same as the far away tree.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 05-14-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
All right ya'll,
Here is the location

I just checked out the house prices in New Orleans..... why are they so cheap?
I went to max price if $300,000 and the same houses and land size here in Melbourne would be close to $1M........Im coming over to live and you can teach me how to say y'all.....

Comparison.
Your end.
My end.
The real estate at my end consists of buying one of three units with no land.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 05-14-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
I went to max price if $300,000 and the same houses and land size here in Melbourne would be close to $1M........Im coming over to live and you can teach me how to say y'all.....

Comparison.
Your end.
My end.
The real estate at my end consists of buying one of three units with no land.
I can't really explain that Al. It may have something to do with many of the homes being near or below sea level. Also, New Orleans, still hasn't fully recovered from the last two hurricanes.

Come over Al,
You want have to be taught how to say ya'll. When you hear it every day, it just comes natural .

Old 05-14-2013, 05:48 AM
Master Builder

Careful Gulf you know what they say about Brickie
he was born on the wrong side of the blanket

...only jokes just $hIt stirring

Old 05-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I hear ya' Damon .

While waiting for Brickie to practice driving on the right hand side of the road and getting some experience on the demolition derby circuit (which is by the way a great course) for learning how to drive in New Orleans . I got a little more time on the oven.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I finally started on applying the brick splits to the dome.

I bought Old Chicago splits for the dome. They are actually marked IBC, for the Illinois Brick Company, not Old Chicago. From one whole face split I am cutting getting 3 bricks for the dome. They are not a match for the "Old Any Where In South Mississippi" that I have, but they are a done deal. I cut a few of my own to help tie it in but, they really don't add that much. I may have to cheat and color one here and there to better tie it in. We will see. I am using 3/8" ceramic tile floor spacers to keep them in place while the ThinSet sets up.

Eight courses on this side of the dome was a hell of a lot quicker than it was on the other .

Last edited by Gulf; 05-14-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: lin+k
Old 05-15-2013, 04:23 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Brickie I think I know why the houses are so cheap in Mississippi........ This one made it all the way to my work here in Florida........ Sure ya want to learn to say y'all?
Attached Thumbnails
Mississippi 44"-gator1.jpg  

KB

Old 05-15-2013, 05:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

So, are these whole bricks you are slicing down? It's looking good.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin