Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Mississippi 44"

Yeah, your sand sounds just fine. Looking forward to more pics of your efforts!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-28-2013, 03:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I usually post on my thread when I have a pic of some recent accomplishment. But, due to long hours at work, preparing for, and just now completing our annual outage I have none to report. This weekend was full of great expectations for the build. But, a very nasty look from the president of my neighborhood home owners association (my wife, we are the only home in the neighborhood) let me know that the grass had to be cut . I spent most of Saturday working on the riding mower and buying new push mower for trimming. Today, I was rained out about half way through the cut. Hopefully, next weekend, I will be able to get one day to work on the MQ .

EDIT: LPDTLOPSS .

Last edited by Gulf; 04-28-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Bummer. I was looking forward to some funky 'crete bar stools or ramp sink.
Gulf likes this.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 04-28-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gosh dangit Stonecutter!

As if I didn't need another idea . You've given me a couple of em' .
stonecutter likes this.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Welcome to my world.

Did you see the latest pics of the watertable on my oven? I went with the grey after all the hem and haw...my brain hurts.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 05-05-2013, 04:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sorry Stonecutter,
I thought that I was keeping up with the forum . I had been working a 12 to 16 hour a day shutdown/outage where I work. The grey looks great! and matches your stonework. I love the "old world" look.

I understand what you are referring to but, the term "watertable" throws me a little. I live in an area where local building terms do not always match the "official" terms.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Sorry Stonecutter,
I thought that I was keeping up with the forum . I had been working a 12 to 16 hour a day shutdown/outage where I work. The grey looks great! and matches your stonework. I love the "old world" look.

I understand what you are referring to but, the term "watertable" throws me a little. I live in an area where local building terms do not always match the "official" terms.
Thanks Gulf! I went with the grey because there is going to be a lot more granite when I finally get some time for finishes, and I thought the other colors matched too well...I wanted contrast for this particular element.

Watertable in masonry is a horizontal projection that acts as a ledge for water running down the face of a structure, to keep it off the lower foundation ( or area below the watertable.) Also known as a band, string, or belt course.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 05-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

More importantly, it is used as both a visual and physical separation between dissimilar materials. Usually between stucco and stone, but also between clay and cementious units. It allows for a flashing point, and also allows for the differential in expansion and contraction between dissimilar materials.

On some applications, primarily on the interior or weather protected areas it serves as a visual cue more than a construction joint.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post

Watertable in masonry is a horizontal projection that acts as a ledge for water running down the face of a structure, to keep it off the lower foundation ( or area below the watertable.) Also known as a band, string, or belt course.
I am familiar with the term ledge, as in window ledge or door sill. Masonry or carpentry, they are always sloped slightly away from the home. Or in this case oven. That is what I had planned to do for my concrete landing. Slope it gradually away from my entry.

Am I on the same page with ya'll ?

Old 05-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post

I am familiar with the term ledge, as in window ledge or door sill. Masonry or carpentry, they are always sloped slightly away from the home. Or in this case oven. That is what I had planned to do for my concrete landing. Slope it gradually away from my entry.

Am I on the same page with ya'll ?