Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Mississippi 44"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvm View Post
Great conversation an excellent ideas as usual gentleman. Golf when you make that door why not put the smoke in at the top and vent from the bottom?
Because heat rises? I think I'm missing something

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am thinking that in some cases the oven would be used for smoking on the decline. The temperature would be from the retained heat in the brick. The smoke would have some heat also which should initially rise filling the oven from the top down. Venting at the bottom should retain more smoke and heat in the oven. After thinking about DVM's question/suggestion, I think that venting it at the top would make it a little too easy for the rising smoke and retained heat from the oven to escape.

It is just a theory .

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 01-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Master Builder

V-wiz,
it doesn't matter if the temp is 250 or 350, the bird couldn't care less as long as you get the internal temp up to where its safe to eat. Many modern chefs are browning their birds with blow torches, these days. There are some (true smokers) on this forum, but those of us the relish the subtle flavor of our favorite wood or spices in our food, can accomplish this in our ovens with only a heat saturated oven, and a welled sealed insulated door. Mind you it is not what the purist would call smoked, by any means, but for us novices, it makes every meat eater in our neighborhood Drools.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Master Builder

The reason why i suggested the higher temp for birds was because of the skin, or else any temp given the right amount of time will work. You definetly can smoke in an oven, all it takes is wood heat and a enclosed chamber
Old 01-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for the tips guys. Fist meat from (my) oven was moist and smokey.
Attached Thumbnails
Mississippi 44"-2013-01-06-16.24.57.jpg  

My road to pizza is documented here:

Old 01-07-2013, 02:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks perfect DVM,
Did you do it like Laurentius suggested? What about the time and temp?
EDIT: Never mind. I just read the update to your thread. I should have scrolled down further on the new posts.
Thank's for sharing .

Last edited by Gulf; 01-07-2013 at 02:49 AM. Reason: update
Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Aside from the build I have had a lot going on. But, when I had time I was working on retainer walls and french drains. I have been following DVM's build, and that sort of lit a fire under my as to work on the counters this weekend.
Saturday morning I was prepping the forms.

But, I got a call from my brother about some some free redoak. Hardwood is plentiful down here. Most people get tired of limbing a tree (with a chain saw) and leave a lot of good wood to waiste.

I used my Stihl for some of this, but a lot of it was cut with the pruning shears. I like the smaller wood and hate renting a wood splitter.
With a late start on Sunday, I was only able to pour the landing.

It is an upside down pour. My supervisor loves rhe multiple colors.
brickie in oz likes this.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gulf,

I understand the sea shells in the counter but the fern I am not quite suer how it will look in the finished counter, I am not all that familiar with poured polished concrete but what will become of the fern leaf area?

BTW I like the shape. and it must be nice to have weather that you can be working outside in Late January.

Chip
Old 01-27-2013, 10:06 PM
Master Builder

Nice, some good wood pile you got there, here in california cutting oak is illegal
Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Master Builder

My wood splitter is called an axe, they're cheap enough to buy and own.