Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Mississippi 44"

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Why did you chose the square metal wire vs lathe vs chicken wire for your stucco reinforcement. Mulling over what to do for mine.
I'm not too sure how good of a reinforcement that chicken wire is. Also, it and lathe are not that easy to form into a complex curve. (Still trying to keep that simi-perfect sphere thing going) . I just think that the mesh is a better option in my particular case. I'm not saying that mesh is easy to work with either but, with enough cuts, at least "dooable". I don't know that reinforcement is even needed for stucco directly over vcrete. What I am attempting is to make only a thick scratch and brown coat layer to attach split brick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh I see, more brick work for the Queen, so you are doing split bricks aroung the dome. Shhss, it is becoming a monument! I do not have v-crete planned over the insulation, just a scratch, brown and top coat stucco planned.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I had origionally thought about buying some splits, but I still have a lot of old whole brick still. I did a few test cuts with the HF saw, it's easy to get four 1/2 splits out of each brick.

The vcrete just helped me to get the shape back that I wanted. I did a real lumpy job on the blanket. Although, it probably did not hurt to have a little more insulation .

Old 10-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm looking forward to seeing your attractive dark slurry.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
I'm not too sure how good of a reinforcement that chicken wire is. Also, it and lathe are not that easy to form into a complex curve. (Still trying to keep that simi-perfect sphere thing going) . I just think that the mesh is a better option in my particular case. I'm not saying that mesh is easy to work with either but, with enough cuts, at least "dooable". I don't know that reinforcement is even needed for stucco directly over vcrete. What I am attempting is to make only a thick scratch and brown coat layer to attach split brick.
Trying to get any metal reinforcing over a compound curve smoothly takes a long time. I gave up on it ages ago in preference to reinforcing fibres added to the mix, over a web of thin wire woven over the dome.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

David,
I don't know how attractive it is, but it did help tone down at least some of those bright UA colors .

The one on the left is the water only test. So far, I like the liquid acrylic fortifier only sample.

I wet sanded them this evening with automotive wet sand paper (by hand). I will be adjusting colors and waiting until these samples dry fully. I want to see how they look once coated with sealer.
One funny thing I noticed: In the top left hand corner of each sample is a fern like leaf that I pulled from the same plant growing in my uncut yard. The one in the water only sample kept it's shape. The one in the acrylic only sample withered immediately once it was covered with concrete.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Trying to get any metal reinforcing over a compound curve smoothly takes a long time. I gave up on it ages ago in preference to reinforcing fibres added to the mix, over a web of thin wire woven over the dome.
Very good point David,
Most of my knowledge is from "ages ago" . By reading this, Maybe someone else will use the fibers in a simular situation. I have only just in the last couple of days ran across the premixed stucco with fibers

Old 10-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

wow they"re stunning. You could probably go even darker with the black fill for more contrast.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Very good point David,
Most of my knowledge is from "ages ago" . By reading this, Maybe someone else will use the fibers in a simular situation. I have only just in the last couple of days ran across the premixed stucco with fibers. But, I already had my wire in place .

Last edited by Gulf; 10-03-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: multiple post
Old 10-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
wow they"re stunning. You could probably go even darker with the black fill for more contrast.
Thank's David,
Sorry about the double post. I have tried three times to delete that second sob.
I plan to make two more sample pours. I am hoping to get a little more believable earth tone colors, a little better job on the veining, and also a darker slurry fill. I hope .