Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Mississippi 44"

I transitioned the to an 8" 1/8" SS round just in case I may have misfigured Brickies allowances for nearby structures. I also have a tree line due South of the oven. I am allowing the possibility of adding a double wall section 8" SS vent and cap which I picked up at a local salvage dealer for a good price.

I did not shell out for an anchor plate. This 4 and 1/2" piece of SS was scrap and I think that that once it is surounded by Vcrete and brick, it will be anchored just fine.

Tomorrow I hope to begin the MQ's crown .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 06-02-2012, 08:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks verra nize! Twisted sags more than braided, ie you can pull braided tighter, but you do not need it for vertical stringlines.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks' T,
I figured that you were waiting on someone else to bite or give the right answer. I really wasn't sure. The size houses I grew up building did not need a whole lot of stretch to keep the sag out .

Old 06-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I cant find the link so here is the pic again, I assume you mean this very artistic rendition...
Attached Thumbnails
Mississippi 44"-chimney-height.jpg  

Old 06-03-2012, 03:02 AM
Journeyman

Good work gulf - now that is a chimney
Why did you not use loose vermiculite in the cavity?
Old 06-03-2012, 04:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
I transitioned the to an 8" 1/8" SS round just in case I may have misfigured Brickies allowances for nearby structures. I also have a tree line due South of the oven. I am allowing the possibility of adding a double wall section 8" SS vent and cap which I picked up at a local salvage dealer for a good price.

I did not shell out for an anchor plate. This 4 and 1/2" piece of SS was scrap and I think that that once it is surounded by Vcrete and brick, it will be anchored just fine.

Tomorrow I hope to begin the MQ's crown .

Gulf,

That SS sleeve is quite thick at 1/8" it will have enormous power when it heats up faster than its surrounding brickwork and could fracture your brick courses. Or is that ceramic blanket you have surrounded it with, pre-empting the problem? I cracked castable refractory on two ovens a few years ago using SS at 1.2 mm thick and casting directly up to it. They both cracked in the same place.The vermicrete is ok because it has some elasticity.

Dave
Old 06-03-2012, 05:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks' ya'll,

Brickie,
I believe that was the illustration that you used. When I find the thread, I will link it back to the whole discussion.

Amac,
In the lower sections, I used vcrete to have something substantial to support the brick where I stepped in. I also was hoping that the vcrete would add a little strength for the knotched face brick.

David,
At the base of the sleeve I used flat ceramic fiber rope insulation to seperate it from the brick at the rough little transition. It's a little hard to see in the pic. I'm going up 2 more rows and will fill that void with vcrete also.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I finished those 2 rows and cut some brick to encapsulate the sleeve

I had (and still have) every intention of completing this build as a WFO brick oven. However, summer heat, the approaching dog days, and my need to get on with this build have led me to take what I call a short cut.
In my mind I see the Mississippi Queen with an arched brick cap (crown).
I decided for at least for the time being to install the the cap from the 8" section that I bought in order to get off of this damn roof for a while .

Last edited by Gulf; 06-06-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I layed about 1/2" of mortar around the opening and leveled it as best as I could and the set the cap in sort of like a cookie cutter and removed the rest of the mortar.

A large candle holder (complete with a fluer de lis), some black grill spray paint and good portion of budweiser produced this.

The Queen has at least a temporary crown >

Old 06-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dude! The crown is the bomb - excellent touch!

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.