Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Mississippi 44"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Use Pixresizer (google) to make the pics 800 pixels wide, thats the biggest problem with up loading pics, and the fact they are 1.2 Million pixels in size.
Thank's "Brickie". I apoligize for that remark above, although "It wasn't me"

I have been trying a test pic that I have reduced down to 500 by 332 pixels. I am not sure but I am hoping that the number 25 posts, which will promote me to pissant, I mean peasant will be the trick

If not I will, I will start again to seriously find a fix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Austin Texas, although I have lived all over the US from Anchorage Alaska to Ft Lauderdale Florida and everywhere in between, including high school in Nassau Bay TX (South of Houston). I am a construction brat, son of a Civil Engineer that excelled in advanced and technical PIP concrete.

Sort of Ironic that I have gone into unitary masonry, actually.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Austin Texas, although I have lived all over the US from Anchorage Alaska to Ft Lauderdale Florida and everywhere in between, including high school in Nassau Bay TX (South of Houston). I am a construction brat, son of a Civil Engineer that excelled in advanced and technical PIP concrete.

Sort of Ironic that I have gone into unitary masonry, actually.
Two of my older brothers played left and right half backs for CE King back in the late 50's, their junior and senior year respectively.

Our dad was a general contrator. We learned to do it all from digging the footers to building the cabinets. Swore that I would do everything I could to get away fom it. Now, I do as much of it as I can in my spare time to "get away from it all"

Now that is "ironic"

Old 12-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Use Pixresizer (google) to make the pics 800 pixels wide, thats the biggest problem with up loading pics, and the fact they are 1.2 Million pixels in size.
Thank's Brickie,

I did not use Pixerersizer, but I did use your suggestion to resize my pics and I was able to upload from my computer using the "thumbnail" method (paperclip). I'm still not able to do a direct insert using Picasa though. I am beginning to think that it is a Picasa issue.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post

I am beginning to think that it is a Picasa issue.
I uploaded a pic from my first post which had been reduced to 800 wide to photobucket ( I use this site for my bike forums). No problem. I was able to do a direct insert. I will slowly go back and edit my posts. Later! though, it's supposed to be a pretty weekend for December and I am going to work on the oven

Old 12-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'll try and catch up a little on with the build thread. I've been working on the dome with what little time off I have had:

I knew that big old box would come in handy

Old 12-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

As I neared the top courses where it gets really steep I started running into some problems. It was taking too long for the bricks to set and to many support sticks to keep moving around the course. This was mostly because of my impatience and probably not mixing the mortor to match the cool damp conditions. The bricks were kept dry and the build is covered but, we have high humidity even in cool weather down here in South MS.

At that point I ditched the dome guage and tried a row using a method which I saw in a couple of builds on this site. That being using a jack to support a scaffold inside the dome.
EDIT: I learned about this method on Karangi Dude's (Karangi Kitchen 48inch ready to start) build.
I have done a lot of reading on this site and absorbed a lot of information and who's builds that I did not give credit too originally. Please bare with me as I go back and give credit where credit is due.
Sorry that I did not get pics of that first couple of rows with this method but, here is what I did. I set three bricks in a triangle pattern from each other using the dome guage and stick supports. While these three bricks were setting I measured and cut a 3/4" piece of plywood in a circle that would just catch the inside edge of each brick. Supported by the jack, this platform would be my guage for the remainder of the row. This method and my time constraints meant dropping the platform and cleaning that row before continuing on to the next.

Three rows and a keystone left to go

This is where I started taking more pics.

Using the plywood platform the previous row. I precut the the brick including the keystone.

[URL=""
UtahBeehiver likes this.

Last edited by Gulf; 01-21-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: To offer credits
Old 12-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I cut a smaller circle of approximately 3/16" plywood for each row as guage.

My last row was apexing at the center of the dome so I cut them in half to allow for a proper keystone.

Last edited by Gulf; 12-24-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

To bring me up to date. I now have a finnished dome for Christmas

Put in the Keystone about 3:00 pm CST on Christmas eve.

[IMG][/IMG]
Now, on to to the smoke chamber, damper and chimney

Last edited by Gulf; 12-24-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

As a final note for anyone using this method: Drill a large hole in the center of the last plywood circle all the way through the underlying platforms. This is to allow the mortor for the keystone an escape route. As I was pressing mine in to place it came to an abrupt stop about 1/4" from the guaged spot.

[IMG][/IMG]

This can be see in my inside pic of the finnished dome which shows up as a shadow between the last row and the keystone.