Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Mississippi 44"

This is a pic of the 45's to transition from the corbels to the risers which will support the counter top (landing).

After this pic, I moved the 45's back in even with the corbels. The 2Xby in the middle is half the distance of the curve. Kind of hard to tell in the pic but it sets the tension on the upward curve. The two 2Xby's on the right are the same height and are set 1 and 1/2"s below the top of the form.

The finished form with a pic of one of the corbels formed in with a Styrofoam inset to frame a (in the near future to be revealed) medallion.

Even after a few cold ones I can still see that I am going to have set aside a day to tidy up the job site a little bit. But in the words of one of the world’s greatest living philosophers (Jeff Foxworthy): "If you cut your grass and discover a car that you forgot that you owned, you might be a redneck"
dvm likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jumped back around to the back side of the heatbreak between the arches.

Lead with a 1/2" rope to fill the inside corner and then followed up with another 3/4" rope to finnish up.
All packed and ready to seal.

All sealed up.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Mississippi 44"

I like what you did with the rope and sealant....Wish I had thought of that

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Used one of the most dinged up CalSils boards to form a collar for the heatbreak.

I took the form for the arch, scribed 4" to allow for the brick and 3" for the width of the collar and cut it to fit.
I used my jig saw on the slowest setting, worked up wind of the saw, wore a dust mask and a bandana. And, I'll still probably end up as the poster child for CalSilthelioma
I intend to butter it in with a 5to1 mix of fine vermicrete, just to seal it to the two arches.
My reasoning for the CalSil collar":
1. The distance between the dome and the chimney was only 2"'s at the bottom.
2. The CalSill was free

Old 02-26-2012, 04:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
I like what you did with the rope and sealant....Wish I had thought of that
Thank's Lee,
The seal from the inside made a little of a mess, but I was able to clean it up a little when it dried.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Finally got around to my favorite brick related task tuckpointing I guess I have been putting it off. I rolled out the air compresser and cleaned the joints before starting.

After that fun was over I then set the CalSil collar.

I cut three small bands of 1/4" galvanized construction cloth and shaped them to fit around chimney side of the collar. The Dome side was just cladded in the 1/2" to 3/4" thickness that I am cladding the dome. Here is the first 1/4".

Old 02-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Serf

Looking really good Gulf.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thank's Jerry,
I plan on getting this build to at least cooking stage, if not finnished by spring. My wife says we will be riding by then. She's the boss We've done the lower Natchez Trace (Kosciusco to Natchez). I have been informed that we will ride from Kosciusco to Nashville then. Looking forward to seeing Tupelo.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Apprentice

Looking great! Which took longer, the dome or the chimney?

Old 02-28-2012, 06:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaIdiot View Post
Looking great! Which took longer, the dome or the chimney?
I am not really sure, but I would have to say it was the chimney. since I had a real direction from plenty of great builds out there to imulate for the dome. As for as the chimney, it is a work in progress. It is by far not finnished. When you try to match what others have done with cutting chimney liners to make a smooth transition, the heatbreak pioneers out there, and an attempt to add a little of your own life experince, there is a tiny little bit of possibility to overbuild