Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Mississippi 44"

Got the cap set this morning. I took a pic late this evening,

after the scaffold was took down.
Xene likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 02-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Its a work of art, you could set a light in the top and become a lighthouse....

Old 02-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I then cleaned out the fireplace and installed the inner ceramic rope for the heatbreak between the oven arch and the inner fireplace arch.

The 3/4" rope is glued into place and sealed. I wished that this stuff came in gray, but it is black. It looks like a soar thumb but I hope that the fibers are sealed away from the cooking area.

I don't know if you can tell from the pic, but the 1/4"X1" ceramic rope (between the oven floor and the fireplace floor) ends about 1/4" below the surface. Hopefully, the ash will fill this in and seal it also. Maybe by the time all the curing fires are done, all the carcinogenic hydrocarbons etc. will have burnded off. If not I promise you that if any of my babies are borned naked, ya'll will be the first to know

Old 02-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
you could set a light in the top and become a lighthouse....
Thanks’ Al,
After a few drinks, I looked at this thing and thought about putting a pyramid on top (like those that are on top of obelisks)
The light house would tie it all in a lot better with the Margaritaville theme

Last edited by Gulf; 02-12-2012 at 05:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Thanks’ Al,
After a few drinks, I looked at this thing and thought about putting a pyramid on top (like those that are on top of obelisks)
You sound as silly as I am.....

Old 02-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It looks great. I would have left out the mastic and just dry packed the rope in, though.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
It looks great. I would have left out the mastic and just dry packed the rope in, though.
Thanks' T,
I'll probably do that between the outer fireplace and decorative arches.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:15 PM
Apprentice

Dude, you should do the chimney. Awesome job!

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks’ Tu,
It remains to be seen how the design will work though. I see that you are going with what looks to be 8" stainless pipe. I wanted to go with that. I had a lead on some before I started the build but it fell thru. It was 1/16th” single wall pipe. I was going to get galvanized from HD and insulate the outer two layers. When that lead fell thru, (I didn't want to pay the price the price for triple wall 8") I then settled on continuing up another two feet with brick. And so begat the monster

I have since came across some double wall (stainless inside galvanized outside) at a very reasonable price. If I had of found that sooner the "Mayan ruins" would look a lot different today. If I add a few more feet in height for any reason it will be with that piping.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I began the work on the landing. I had to lay a few old brick in order to do this. After a couple of brick, It dawned on me that I was still using the 2'" trial. I think that I have gotten used to it.

Some of these will be visible underneath the arched landing.

I began working the project with some 1/8th" plywood, but had to tear that out and spring for some masonite from Lowes. It bends a heck of a lot tighter without breaking.

I used the stick (guage) to scribe the compound curves.