Old 04-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Minimum oven size - advice please

Brilliant, thanks. Do you have any photo's, details, etc?
Cheers
Nick
Old 04-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Internal diam 21" supporting slab 900 x900 mm weight 250 Kgs.
dome thickness 60 mm floor thickness 50 mm
Attached Thumbnails
Minimum oven size - advice please-p7060001.jpg  
Old 04-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My current build is a 32" inside diameter. I have used and built ovens up to 46" and I feel that a smaller oven is very capable of doing the job. Unless you plan on cooking 3 or more pizzas at a time...it all comes down to how you plan on using the oven

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-22-2013, 06:54 PM
Apprentice

I know space might be tight, but if you can go bigger, say 42" you wont regret it. You may start off just thinking pizza, but end up making entire meals and really enjoying the space and ability to pull it off, good luck
!

Old 04-22-2013, 11:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you are thinking of casting your oven, then the easiest way for a one off, is to trowel castable refractory over a sand mould covered in wet newspaper. Creating moulds for multi piece castings is not worth all the work for one casting. Regarding size, my 21" oven is quite adequate to cook the family Sunday roast and or a few loaves of bread. Small ovens are easier and cheaper to build and use way less fuel so you tend to use them more often.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:54 AM
Peasant

Hi David,
Thanks for your message. presumably with yours you would move the coals to one side before cooking, or would you drag them out?
I am thinking of an oven made over a pile of sand. I am thinking of mixing vermiculite with clay soil to see if that gives a better insulation.
Any thoughts welcomed.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchn View Post
Hi David,
Thanks for your message. presumably with yours you would move the coals to one side before cooking, or would you drag them out?
I am thinking of an oven made over a pile of sand. I am thinking of mixing vermiculite with clay soil to see if that gives a better insulation.
Any thoughts welcomed.
It depends what I'm cooking and how long the fire has been going, whether I move coals. If doing a roast I usually fire for exactly one hour, then push the coals aside, place the roast and fit the door. With no oxygen to the fire the coals die. If cooking pizzas I usually remove half the coals to make more room and maintain a fire on the side.

The usual mix for insulation is 5:1 vermiculite, sand for under the floor and 10:1 over the dome (for an igloo) or loose vermiculite for an enclosure. I can't see any advantage in using soil instead of cement. It would still reduce the insulating capacity like cement, but give you zero strength.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:57 AM
Serf

can I ask for you for the exact measurements of the oven from the inside please?
Old 05-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Vendixia,
I presume you question was directed at me. My oven is a hemisphere and it's diameter at the base on the inside is 540mm. The vent extends out another 150mm.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:04 AM
Serf

Thanks for your reply David. Yes it was directed at you :-) I was planning at building a wood oven with a diamter of about 50cm. However I was not sure whether when putting a pizza in it, there's enough space remaining for the wood. How do you manage? :-)