Old 02-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Mini Portable Beginnings

You better steer clear of rough roads.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Serf

Right, so I have decided to build my dome based on a catenary arch for maximum strength. I have also decided to only have vertical mortar joints less than 3mm. I have already found that it will require more bricks but less heat stop II for the payoff. I'm using my own refractory mortar mix on the horizontal joints and surface to save more money. With both of these adjustments to my plan, I believe I will have a strong enough dome to handle small bumps in the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Mini Portable Beginnings-dsc01406.jpg   Mini Portable Beginnings-dsc01407.jpg   Mini Portable Beginnings-dsc01410.jpg  

Last edited by sbinder; 02-21-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbinder View Post
I'm sure the thermal mass is much less important than the insulation especially when Iím just working with pizza.

Actually, the insulation isn't that important when you are cooking pizza since there is a fire burning. The insulation comes into play when you are baking.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Actually, the insulation isn't that important when you are cooking pizza since there is a fire burning. The insulation comes into play when you are baking.
We've heard from many members who have found it difficult-to-impossible to bring an uninsulated oven up to temperatures for pizza. If your heat leaks to the base or to the air, you just won't get your thermal mass up to temperature.

Remember the FB motto: insulate! insulate! insulate!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

David,

My first fire I went to white w/ zero insulation. It pegged my meter at over 950 deg. - I am sure I could have cooked in it. I do agree with you, insulation is important.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've thought about building one of these.

A good idea might be to wrap the dome with chicken wire after completion and cover the chicken wire with high heat mortar.

Kind of like rebar in concrete.
Get half the mortar under the chicken wire and half over the top.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 02-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Serf

I like the way you think. I had also thought about the chicken wire in the mortar but was worried about the different expansion coefficients. I was wondering if it would be better to embed the chicken wire in the first 1/2 inch of vermiculite that covers the dome. It could still provide stability but be less affected by the heat.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Serf

For the relative thickness of the chicken wire, I wouldn't think that you would have to worry so much about expansion co-efficients. The chicken wire would act like rebar and provide much needed support to the mortar. My main concern with a portable unit would be keeping everything from falling apart when I was moving it.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think it would be much stronger in mortar.
Vermiculite cement isn't very tough

My costs:

My pics:

Old 02-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I covered my portable oven with one inch (trying to keep the weight down) of refractory concrete. My brew was 4:3:1:1:1 1/4"aggregate,sand,lime,portland cement, fire clay. I also reinforced with the small sized chicken wire, lots of short overlapping pieces.The oven is holding together well, but I hate unsealed roads.