Old 08-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Midwest WA build

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfried View Post
This heat proof mortar in the pr mix tub seems to develop hair line cracks in the joints
You probably have thin joint glue, its meant for joints no thicker than a couple of mm, above a couple mm and it cracks as it drys.
There is a thick joint glue for larger joints.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Peasant

Yeah al
think thats the case , to cut a dome perfectly with 1-2mm joints front to back side to side etc all the way to the top is dream land . Its definately a possibility with a barrel oven such as youve done though. Ive used same brand mortar as you. If I built another I would definately use homebrew and not taper bricks until top.
cheers
Old 08-18-2011, 12:29 AM
Peasant

Good day today ! Gave the dome a bit of a touch up with the sander pretty dusty but i had big industrial vac sitting in the hole at the top so cleared pretty quick. After all the dramas of the transition the last couple of chains and keystone was easy came up pretty good after all!. Now to finish off the flue and start curing , didnt think i was ever gonna get there.
Its prob well know but i drilled a small hole in the keystone and fitted plastic plug in the top , made it real easy to fit and remove whilst shaping.
Anyway heres a couple of shots
Attached Thumbnails
Midwest WA build-020-2-.jpg   Midwest WA build-024-2-.jpg   Midwest WA build-026-2-.jpg  
Old 08-18-2011, 04:59 AM
Peasant

well seeing as i was on a roll i finished off the vent arch , just need to build facia arch in front , a flue base and all brick work is done !
It would be impossible to build something like this without this website and each persons slight variances on what works for them thanks to all.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:07 AM
Journeyman

Ain't it a great feeling to have cut your last firebrick!!!!!!!!!! You have to be doing the happy dance fer sure. Nice build, I wish you would have posted the laser idea months ago tho! That looks like it really worked well for you. I am just starting curing fires myself. what kind of chimney will you be using? Clay or Stainless Steel? Good Luck and keep up the great work!

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 08-18-2011, 05:10 AM
Peasant

Hi Aegis
Yeah ive sucked down about 6 corona's so far very happy
gonna use a 200mm stainless flue but will need to be at least 3m to clear the roof so should draw well
cheers James
Old 08-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Peasant

Heres an easy way to cut a perfectly round 210mm hole in 4 bricks
Attached Thumbnails
Midwest WA build-004-3-.jpg   Midwest WA build-005-3-.jpg   Midwest WA build-006-3-.jpg   Midwest WA build-007-3-.jpg  
Old 08-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Peasant

I was in a dilema trying to decide what to do about the front arch , any way just started laying bricks and came up with this. i left a 8mm gap between the front arch and the vent arch. Just gotta cure it now so i can insulate!
cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Midwest WA build-008-3-.jpg  
Old 08-22-2011, 05:10 AM
Peasant

Hi Doug
That hole was 215mm my stainless flue is 200mm , in that photo I had a piece of 250 galvanized outer flue which will be above the roof line to make the tin weatherproof and the stainless flue will run inside that to a hat .
Im gonna render over two layers of blanket and blend into the back of the front arch.
Drilling that hole was cheating really as i run a Concrete Cutting & Drilling business. Ive got diamond drills from 16mm up to 600mm diametre. Ive cut thousands of metres of windows and doorways in brick walls in the last 18 years but the cuts on the oven were something i dont wanna do again in a hurry.
Cheers

Last edited by woodfried; 08-22-2011 at 05:13 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:56 AM
Apprentice

Hey champ

Where did you source the flue from? I'm in Perth.

Cheers

Tags
cheers james