Michigan Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan Build

Well guys...first let me appoligize for my user name. SZV9N5 is an old ID i had many years ago and I use it for website that I don't plan to frequent. So, when I found this forum back in May I created a user ID to just check it out. I had no idea that this was the first step in an addictive process. I recall being up until almost 4 AM that morning reading about WFO. I love this forum and appreciate all the knowledge kept here. This porcess has occupied my mind since the first time I logged on. From what I have read...many feel the same way. So my real name is Steve.

I began my build back in May and did not post anything on it because I didn't understand how helpful and accepting this forum is. I would like to share my build now as I am still in the process. That will require me to start from the beginning and post several "catchup" postings.

My project has 4 components: 1) tearing out and rebuilding an existing paver patio in my backyard, 2) building a grilling island in the new patio, 3) building a small dry bar in the new island and 4) building a fireplace/WFO into the back edge of my patio.

I have really grown to appreciate this forum and look forward to any suggestions you may have as I progress through this challenge..... "cathchup" postings will begin....

Re: Michigan Build

Welcome "catchup" to the WFOs, looking forward to seeing your postings. Yes this is a great forum.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hi Steve,

Thank you for sharing this with us and we look forward to the "cathchup" postings and the pictures you will post. Good luck and enjoy this project.

Amber

Comment

Welcome, Steve! We look forward to your project!
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

So, here is my patio...it is very curvy which I think looks cool but it makes releveling a pain because there are so many cut bricks. This is a view straight outside from my house doorwall. Overall the patio is 25' x 25'. At the end of the patio (just behind the tabel and chairs) is where I am planning to build the FP/WFO (fireplace/wood fired oven). But first I have to lift all the bricks, reconfigure the border to accomodate the FP/WFO (I want it built into the patio by about a foot or so), create the base for the bar and grilling island and relevel and reset all the bricks. From this view the grilling island will be on the right towards the house and the bar will be on the left towards the house. I chose to break them up because I did not want to have to walk across the entire patio everytime I needed to check on the grilled salmon...especially in the snow as I typically grill year round.

Comment

First order of business was planning out where to place the pad. Being that I live in Michigan I felt that I had to put this pad on footings. I read many posts on the topic but I wanted to be sure. I dug these babies out by hand...42" deep...all the way around. The orientation here shows where the end of my patio is...there was a step down there that I later took out as I reconfigured the border to accept about a foot of the pad. Picture 1 shows the footing dug out prior to pouring the pad. Picture 2 shows the pad post pour. Picture 3 gives you a feel for the orientation of where the FP/WFO will be positioned on the patio. In future pictures you will see how I pushed to patio border back into the pad.

Comment

I dug a full footing as well. Zero problems and no regrets. Your solid!
              Where in MI are you?
              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
              My oven build thread

Comment

You can see in this pic that I put the first course of block on the pad (had to do just one course first as it bacame the back border for the patio). I also did the tear out of the old step that was there. I also did the tear out of the back patio border so that it could be reconfigured to accept the FP/WFO. You can also see that I began the tear out of the pavers and dug the trench to run the gas line (the fireplace will be gas logs....more discussion on this later!)

Comment

Mike- yea...as much work as it was I am glad I did...nothing worse that worrying about a portion of a project that you skimped on and can do nothing about....

I am in Macomb Twp....if you don't know that area it is near Sterling Heights...

Comment

This pic shows the back border reconfiguration complete. The gas line is in (also ran some low voltage electrical for some accent lighting). The patio base is extended and releveled. About halfway done relaying the pavers. I knew I would not have enough of the old pavers as the curves required so many cuts...so I picked up a pallet of salmon/grey pavers to make the border and put a large diamond centered right in front of what will be the FP/WFO.

Comment

So far, all my pictures have shown the far end of the patio. The close end buts up against the house. At this end is where I put the bar and the grilling island. This project started when I ran a gas line out to the patio for my new gas grill. I then thought why not run a line out to the fire pit...and from there the ideas just kept comin....

Why Gas instead of wood you are probably asking? Well...we had a firepit for years in the patio (as seen in prior pics). When I built that firepit I imagined sitting on the patio around the fire with my wife relaxing. It never worked because she has asthma and wood fires trigger it. So that is why I am thinking gas. Of course, the WFO will be wood burning but I am hoping the chimney will direct the smoke up and away so she will be okay. Also, her Asthma seems to be getting better.

Anyway...here are two pics...one of the bar and one of the grilling island. I did the granite work myself...it is not perfect but the price was right and I enjoyed doing it....they were made from reminants...got a good deal on them. I sunk the side burner into the granite on left side of the grill...just had to run a longer gas line...also added accent lights to both...the FP/WFO will have the same lights and same granite accent pieces....

Comment

A few words about the combination of FP and WFO... I really like to idea of having both. I really did not want to take up the room it would take to have them side by side. So, here are my thoughts on it.

First, as I explained earlier I may have no choice but to go with gas due to my wife's Asthma. But assuming for a minute the health issue is not a problem. My plan is to build the firebox for the fireplace so that there is what I would call a "smoke chamber" that will hopefully collect the smoke. This chamber would be a box that extends up the top of the firebox. This box will be about 8 inches tall, 35 inches wide and about 16 inches deep. At the top of the box will be two, 5' round clay flues (one on each side). The two flues will protrude up through the hearth floor (on each side of the WFO entry and vent landing) and at some point come together to form one flue going up to the top of the chimney (all this flue activity will be hidden as this will be an enclosed house style oven). A separate flue will be used for the WFO.

If this entire plan fails and the fireplace will not draw the way it needs to I will just connect gas logs to the fireplace and use them...there will be plenty of ventilation for that...even if that fails I can always use ventless gas logs.

I prefer the have the option of using either gas or wood in the fireplace. We will see how this will work as I plan to have a "smoke test" within a couple of weeks once I get the smoke box built. I reiterate...the WFO will obviously be wood burning only...

Comment

Looks great so far!

Of course I know where Macomb Twp. is.... I grew up there!

Your photos look like familiar neighborhood, which is why I asked.

Looking forward to your build.
                          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                          My oven build thread

Comment

Okay....made some progress over the past few weeks...also took a long weekend off from the project to take the family to Mackinaw Island. Anyway, In previous posts I described the smoke chamber I was building to catch the fireplace smoke and direct it out through the two chimneys at the top of the firebox. I finally got that built and lined with firebrick. Also attached the two clay flues which will eventually join together to form one chimney out the top. You can also see my helper Max....

The second picture is a view of my smoke chamber cladded with firebrick. The two openings are the two clay flues. This picture was is a look from inside the firebox from the firebox floor looking straight up. I plan to do the rest of the firebox in a harringbone pattern but up here where nobody will every see it I laid the brick straight....luckily I thought to do this from the top before I closed it up...much easier that way.

Comment

My design is a bit different than most. For one thing the structure was designed to be built into my patio. The patio is about 18" high where the Fireplace/WFO will be. Therefore, the back of the structure is quite tall. This provided me with an idea. I decided to frame a doorway in the back and have a "walk in" wood storage area. The typical wood storage area in front is not available because I am using it for the firebox. I plan to make a door and also store my tools (rakes, brushes, peels and the like). Will probably put some shelving in or a rack at a minimum. Anyone see issues with this plan that I may not have thought of? What types of things besides those I listed about should I plan to make room for in this space?

Comment

Working...
                              X