Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Michigan Build

Thanks Capt....I am in Macomb Twp. Where are you?
Old 09-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by szv9n5 View Post
Thanks Capt....I am in Macomb Twp. Where are you?
In Oakland County, Commerce Twp. As soon as I get back in town, I'll post some pics of my build.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Laborer

Made a little more progress. Finished the vent landing and attached the chimney. I think I am getting close to my curing fires. The dome has been done for about two weeks. The vent arch and chimney has been done for about 1 week. Do you guys think that is long enough to start the curing fires? I plan to do the 7 day plan James outlined. In the meantime I am going to start lining my firebox with the firebrick....that should keep me busy for awhile...
Attached Thumbnails
Michigan Build-dscn1157-v2.jpg   Michigan Build-dscn1163-v2.jpg  
Old 09-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Laborer

Well, I decided to go ahead with my curing fires today. Did the first early this AM with just paper. No problems yet.....had some smoke come out the oven door but I am hoping that is because it was not hot enough to create a real draw....also, the chimney will eventually be a little taller...that should help also.
Attached Thumbnails
Michigan Build-dscn1175-v2.jpg  
Old 09-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Laborer

Bought a Craftsman High Temp InfraRed Thermometer today. Could not find one that would go higher than 500 degrees at The Depot (in store). Saw many online but wanted it today. So far, I like the Craftsman....very helpful during the curing fires to track the temps to ensure I don't get the dome too hot....easy to do. Anyway...I think this thing was about $65. Like any other new toy I have been taking the temp of everything around the house....Max the dog is 96 degrees...
Attached Thumbnails
Michigan Build-dscn1184-v2.jpg  
Old 09-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Laborer

I was thinking the other day about when I was reading this site prior to starting my build. The posts I appreciated the most were the little tips and ideas. To that end, here is a picture of the funnel I made to fill by block cores. Probably not a gotta have to get the job done....but it sure did come in handy. And it only cost be about $3 to make. Basically an old bucket, cut a hole in the bottom and attach a toilet flange to it. Worked perfectly!
Attached Thumbnails
Michigan Build-dscn1185-v2.jpg  
Old 09-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Laborer

While my dome is curing I started bricking the inside of my fireplace firebox. I am hoping this keeps my mind off rushing the curing process to get to the first pizza!
Attached Thumbnails
Michigan Build-dscn1183-v2.jpg  
Old 09-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Laborer

My finished entry (the finished arch is not built yet) will have a granite floor leading to an air gap thermal break before the brickvent landing. To make my granite level to the brick vent floor I poured a small concrete slab to set my granite on allowing space for mortar. The granite in the picture is just a test piece to gauage the granite thickness. The final piece will extend out more and have a slight overhang.
Attached Thumbnails
Michigan Build-dscn1173-v2.jpg  
Old 09-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Laborer

Curing fires went great yesterday and today. Was able to do the first three (100, 200 and 300 degree burns) yesterday. Got two more in today (400 and 500 degree burns). Will probably do the 600 tomorrow and the 700 Friday. So far, no signs of cracks...BTW....I have not added the dome insulation blanket yet...I think that has helped the oven cool down faster and allow me to do multiple cures in one day. Also, the infared thermometer has been great to ensure I am getting a full cool down between burns and helping me know when I am reaching the desired temp without going over.....helping me get a feel for the oven. Very glad I bought the thermometer.
Capt likes this.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:58 AM
Laborer

OK guys....I am jumping back in to provide an update. Sorry I have not been keeping the updates coming. I am now pretty much finished with my project. Complete it the first week of June. Have been having a ton a fun using it. I absolutely love it. So, I believe when I left off I was just starting the curing fires. They went very well and no majory cracks developed.
Attached Thumbnails
Michigan Build-dscn1193-v2.jpg