Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Michigan Build

Looking great! Can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Master Builder

I was able to use a 10" wet saw to make the individual cuts. It does make the build significantly slower. I was only able to pound out one chain a day (I was admittedly very slow). My cracks are minimal, and I have no regrets. Having said that, no one ever looks inside my oven. Many builders use half cut bricks (perhaps 1/3 as you get to the upper rings) with no problems. Just be sure to really stagger the vertical joints. That seems to be when most builders get into trouble with significant cracks.

As far as the insulation, it shouldn't get wet. A little wet mortar splashing on it is OK, but cover it at night from the rain until you get it permanently enclosed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Is there any reason why your hearth brick layer extends so far from under the dome walls ?
Old 09-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Laborer

No....I just ran them wild when I laid it out. I plan to cut them back so I can insulate properly.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Laborer

Working away at dome construction. Got through the 4th course and going pretty smoothly so far. No major issues yet. Love using the IT instead of a form. Really like the ability to clean the inside as I go by using the IT. I opted for using the half brick without tapering or beveling the edges in the interest of time. So far, I am not dissapointed. However, I understand gaps do nothing but get bigger from here on so I will monitor it and see what I can put up with.
Attached Thumbnails
Michigan Build-dscn1074-v2.jpg   Michigan Build-dscn1075-v2.jpg  
Old 09-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by szv9n5 View Post
Has anyone ever seen one of these? I was cleaning out my Dad's garage this spring and came across this. The person who had the house before him left it....over twenty years ago. My Dad thought it was a rock tumbler and the guy was really into rock polishing. I knew what is was when I saw it and thougth I would see if the motor still worked....sure enough it works great. I have been using it a lot. Too small for mixing for a pad but great for mortor, and filling the block cavities. What a neat little mixer....does about a 60 pound bag at a time....
Made by MAN-U-FAB ē 3025 Bailey Road, Newport, MN 55055

The still sell a complete line of small mixers.

Chip
Old 09-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Laborer

Made more progress on my dome over the past couple of days. I lost a couple of brick seam staggers...I expect some cracking for that mistake.
Attached Thumbnails
Michigan Build-dscn1081-v2.jpg   Michigan Build-dscn1082-v2.jpg   Michigan Build-dscn1086-v2.jpg  
Old 09-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Laborer

Once I got past the 5th course the slope of the dome started to make it hard to hold the bricks in place until the mortar cured enough to hold it. I made these clips with a water bottle filled with sand and water. Seemed to work pretty good. Given the creative talents on this board I am sure I am not the only one to try this but thought I would pass it along anyway. It is a bad feeling to watch your brick slide off into the dome!
Attached Thumbnails
Michigan Build-dscn1083-v2.jpg  
Old 09-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This is actually a takeoff of something Gulf or Tscar referred to in his build where a brick mason was building the humongous cisterns using a similar method. Making good headway. Just try and mimimize the potato chips (narrow brick slivers). This was a tip Tscar gave me early in my build.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
This is actually a takeoff of something Gulf or Tscar referred to in his build where a brick mason was building the humongous cisterns using a similar method. Making good headway. Just try and mimimize the potato chips (narrow brick slivers). This was a tip Tscar gave me early in my build.
It was Tscar,
I just thought it was ingenious and something that I would try, if there is ever a next time around .