Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Matt's WFO Build

Don't worry Matt. Wait until it cools and you'll see the crack will close up again. I think that will be your one "big" crack and you'll never see it that big again for a couple of reasons:

1. You will get a few more hairline or even more invisible cracks when your oven is finished "curing" at the 700-800 degree range. I found that my top-to-bottom crack actually got smaller once I got to full oven temps a few days later and I think it's because the dome expands better and more evenly after all the hair-lines and heat-stress points figure out what the want to do. The bigger crack will always be the ovens 1st expansion area but that's all it will be and you don't have to think of it as a "crack".

2. Your insulation layer will "seal" it up.

If you see no smoke which you didn't, your good. I cut a swath of my FB blanket and laid it across my ovens crack and after a big smokey fire...ya, with my critical eye, I saw the faintest whisp of a Grey streak the next day on the blanket. I put some more Refmix on it, put on my blanket and its fine.

You're doing a great job, don't worry about the crack. -Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Journeyman

Your crack sounds just like mine. Its' fine. Really.
Attached Thumbnails
Matt's WFO Build-img_0600.jpg  

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread:
Old 11-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Laborer

Joe thank for the picture of your crack it does look a lot like mine. You know now that I am reading these sentences it is a real good thing we all know what we are refering to as in a different context this would just be wrong.

I have another question for all you experts out there. Has anyone covered the fancy high heat insulation with a layer of regular old fiberglass insulation? I was looking at the temperatures of the dome and under the insulation the dome surface was about 300 degrees. On the outside of the insulation it was 75 degrees. I was wondering if filling up the space between the 2 inch layer of high heat insulation and the wall of th enclosure would be a good idea or a bad idea. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

matt

Old 11-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mluttropp View Post
Joe thank for the picture of your crack it does look a lot like mine. You know now that I am reading these sentences it is a real good thing we all know what we are refering to as in a different context this would just be wrong.

matt
Matt, that made me laugh!
Your oven looks great and I like how you are covering it.
Good job.

Tom
Old 11-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mluttropp

matt

Matt, that made me laugh!
Your oven looks great and I like how you are covering it.
Good job.

Tom
tom & matt... I wasnt paying attentions till i read this... I just finished wiping the soda off my laptop from spitting it out..(seriously) that was funny
Thanks for the laugh guys

Mark