Old 04-04-2009, 05:05 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Mark's WFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by exceloven View Post
somewhat round, or at least consistently unround.
I love that description!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Journeyman

Duke,
I got my fire bricks in San Juan Capistrano. I live in Oceanside so it isn't that far. I think I paid 95 cents each. Let me know and I will get the name and address.

Mark
Old 05-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Journeyman

Its been awhile since I have done anything on my oven (besides cooking), but I have gotten a few things done recently and am hoping to keep going and finish the details.
I cut a screed out of a piece of plywood to get my dome fairly round. I am actually pretty happy with the results. I am debating between using mosaic tile for the finish, which I can do, or having a smooth plaster finish, which I am getting a price on.
I finished the arch on the wood storage area. Today I poured the slab for the prep/tool storage area beside the oven. Following all of the progress of Greg, Bill and Dino, among others has motivated me to FINISH.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Mark's WFO-img_4958.jpg   Mark's WFO-img_4957.jpg   Mark's WFO-img_4959.jpg  
Old 05-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by exceloven View Post
I cut a screed out of a piece of plywood to get my dome fairly round.
That's a good idea - wished I would have thought of it because I pretty much sucked doing it free hand

Lookin good!

Les..

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Last edited by Les; 05-19-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mark, that looks very consistently round! The dome looks really good. You've formed such a nice base to work on, I'd be great to see mosaic on it. But you've also got that beautiful brickwork on the front that you don't want to get lost with what happens to the dome. Either way, I'm glade to see you working on it and can't wait to see it finished, -Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Journeyman

Thanks Dino,
I think you are right. With the stone veneer on the front and the brick, mosaic might be a bit much. Besides the dome is up against the hill so its not really very visible.

Mark
Old 05-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Journeyman

I found a guy that could do a smooth plaster finish on my dome, so I got that done along with the seating area at the same time. I hope to get the prep area close to finished this weekend. That will leave just the granite tops till I'm finished.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Mark's WFO-img_4960.jpg  
Old 06-02-2009, 05:37 AM
Apprentice

Very nice Mark! Love the brick work. Our ovens could be siblings

I like the plaster finish. Looks waaaaaay better than what I ended up with which is why I'm going to cover it with bricks.

I'm going to take my Chicago bricks and cut them into 1" sections (long ways) for the dome exterior. It will make them go a long way plus no one is really going to be outside my screen in the shrubs admiring the dome. Well no one maybe but me

Looks great Mark, you've done a fine job!

Check out my build
Old 06-02-2009, 06:36 AM
Journeyman

Thanks Bill,
I really wanted to do the double arch like yours, but in the end it didn't happen. I was going to put tile on my dome, but like yours it really won't be seen much since its built into the hill.
I got a deal on some El Dorado stone for the face. The only drawback is that they didn't have any corners. So I have been mitering pieces and then putting them together before installing them. I'll post pix when its done.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Mark's WFO-img_4961.jpg  

Last edited by exceloven; 06-02-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Apprentice

Mark
Plaster looks great. He did a great job.
And the dome looks perfectly round, good idea on the plywood guide.
Let's see some pictures from a few feet back so we can get the whole view.
Regards
Greg

Click to see my Thread:

Click to see Google web album: