Old 05-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Mark's 42" in MN

I laid the floor on a 50/50 mix of fireclay and sand over the insulboard.
That mixture had water in it.
I think that is what the Pompeii instructions say to do.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Peasant

Here's a couple photos of this weekends progress.
As the most experienced mason on site I promoted myslef to leadman and put two of my sons to work.
I think the younger one will be just the right size for cleaning the mortar off inside of the dome.
I don't know if they'd admit it, but I think they have enjoyed it so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Mark's 42" in MN-100_5035.jpg   Mark's 42" in MN-100_5041.jpg   Mark's 42" in MN-100_5042.jpg   Mark's 42" in MN-100_5050.jpg  
Old 05-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Journeyman

I've been a daily exerciser for ~25 years and I consider myself in pretty good shape, but I found that the physical aspect of the dome build was a bigger deal than the technical.
Get used to some sore hamstrings.
Small people will come in big handy. There is nothing fun about having to wiggle an adult size body face up into an enclosed space through an 18" wide opening. OTOH, kids will probably think that part is great.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Master Builder

I'm curious, why build the enclosure wall before completing the dome? Are you using ceramic blanket for insulation or fill with vermiculite?
Old 05-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Peasant

I know, I kind of boxed myself into a corner, but the roof of the outdoor kitchen is supported by the walls.
I plan on using a ceramic blanket covered with vermiculate.
I want to be able to use the oven all winter long. Well maybe not in January.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mark,
The brickwork looks great. I like the angle you cut into the vent side-walls. I too bought the FB mortar mix because I felt like I owed them something but after the 3rd bag (this was 2 years back when they used small "Refmix" bags) I finished with classic home-brew and would readily recommend it after using both.
The water in your fireclay sand mix is fine. It dries completely with effect on the insulation board.

So, you're building a 42" oven (awesome) and your vent side walls are just over 2 bricks high. That should mean your opening arches will be, well more 'archey' to finish at the 11"-12" opening height. I don't think you can over-insulate so your plan is sound.

Should look really nice.

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Peasant

Thanks Dino
Yes it will be more 'Archey'.
I mocked up the arch both at its current height and one brick higher.
My wife and kids voted for this height. One problem though, the angle is wrong so I either have to take them out or grind them down.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:29 PM

Don't grind down the wife and kids. Even if they are at the wrong angle.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:03 AM
Peasant

Finally able to get back up to the lake. Took a couple weekends off to watch my son wrestle.
Thought I would get an early start cutting tapers for my arch, went out to my saw and there is ICE in the water tray. That's MN weather for you.

Dmun, I followed your advice and ground down the bricks instead of my wife and kids. I knew I would get good advice from this forum. Thanks.

Well, I better get back to cutting bricks before it gets too warm out. It's already almost 40 out.

Mark
Old 05-31-2011, 10:30 AM
Peasant

Well it warmed up a little and we had a pretty productive weekend.
Got the vent arches done and completed chains 4 thru 8. Ran out of firebrick so had to stop work on Sunday.
My only concern is how to convert the vent from firebrick to metal chimney.
My first thought was to continue the firebrick up to a point where I could have a level surface. But now I am thinking I should just make a conversion piece out of stainless steel and set it over the arched opening. Which will require some modification to existing brick work. (2 steps forward - 1 step back)

When attaching the metal to the firebrick, do you screw it done or just set it over the opening and use gasket material. Is there any type of high temp caulk that can be used? I worry about the screws expanding and cracking the firebrick.
Attached Thumbnails
Mark's 42" in MN-100_5053.jpg   Mark's 42" in MN-100_5080.jpg   Mark's 42" in MN-100_5091.jpg   Mark's 42" in MN-100_5094.jpg