Peasant

Default Re: Marino's 42" oven

GIANNIFOCACCIA,

can you direct me to LES build.

Marc
Old 10-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Serf

Yes, the bricks should be offset . There are 6 bricks in the back with joints that are closer than ideal, and 2 that are pretty much on top of the ones below. I did not realize it was that bad until I had almost finished the row. From now on, when reaching the point in subsequent rows where the joints are getting too close, I will cut a smaller brick that will bring the joints to the proper relation. Live and learn. My hope is that since I have cut the bricks as wedges and have very little mortar in the vertical joints, the vertical joints are essentially null for structural support, and the dome will still be sound (even if it does not look right).

Any suggestions on my mortar question?
Old 10-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Serf

I just called FB and asked about the mortar. The two powders (brown and grey) were to be mixed together before adding water. Amanda (tech support) said the mortar will not have the intended properties unless mixed properly. I have to tear down the dome and start over. There was supposed to be an instruction sheet with the kit (I never saw one, either it was missing or I just never saw it). I will start demolition this afternoon.
On the bright side (something about life, lemons and lemonade), I will be able to fix many mistakes, make a cleaner job, and FB will send me replacement mortar free of charge (Thank you FB).
Old 10-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Serf

Almost through with the demolition.
Since I am about to start over, I would like to ask if the first row of bricks on the vent landing is supposed to be mortared to the floor. I did not do it the first time and found it very easy to tip the wall when applying a lateral force at the top. I wonder if an the wall will tolerate the lateral pressure of the brick arch and chimney if it is not mortared to the floor.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Serf

Back to square one.

I used a grinder to clean the mess had made in the faces of the first 2 rows of bricks, and, since by now I think I am better at working with mortar and keeping things clean, I hope it will look a lot nicer this time. Thank you GianniFocaccia.

Again, are the first bricks on the vent landing supposed to be mortared to the floor, or are they free like the dome soldiers?
Attached Thumbnails
Marino's 42" oven-dsc_2965.jpg   Marino's 42" oven-dsc_2961.jpg  
Old 10-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Marino,
You're welcome. I just went through the same thing you did. I mortared my soldier course together in 101F heat and the bricks sucked up all the moisture. Therefore I didn't get a very good bond and they kind of fell apart. I ended up soaking my bricks and redoing it. Right after I finished it started to mist and the weather turned drizzly for three days. The soldier course is now wonderfully welded together!

You can find Les' Build by doing a forum (or Google) search. If I come across it sooner I'll shoot you over the link.

I am not knowedgeable on the proper method of securing the entryway base bricks to the floor. I was so concerned about the outward thrust of the arch on the entryway walls that I decided to go with a hemispherical arch. I will not be mortaring the base bricks to the floor.

Hope this helps. Where in CA are you?

John
Old 10-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Marino,
So sorry about the tear-down but you're on the right track for a better oven.

I know you said you'll do better off-setting the joints now. It will get harder to do as you go up and close up the dome. There will always be a joint that could be better, so do your best.

My oven floor (that I did not mortar to the insulation below it; I just used sand, fire clay, water and a very small dusting of mortar just as a base to keep the floor flat) ran under my side arches. So my 1st of 3 bricks for arch walls was mortared to the fire-brick floor below it.

If you are putting your 1st arch wall brick OUTSIDE your oven floor bricks, it shouldn't be necessary to mortar it in but many recently did mortar their floors down and it wasn't a problem. So brick to brick always gets mortared. Your bottom level bricks (that attach to the FB rigid ceramic insulation board OR the perl-crete insulation mix) according to the online pdf book only gets fire-clay and water, possibly sand to re-level it if needed. But you could put a very thin amount of mortar to "set" it. That bond will likely break anyway once your oven hits 900 deg and expands.

The whole thing will turn out so massive and heavy, it will never move or tip so there are no worries there.

take care, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 11:01 PM
Serf

It's finally starting to smell like pizza!
Sorry about the long silence. As you can see above, last October I had a major set back with the mortar and had to tear the oven down, clean the bricks and start over. I got new mortar from Forno Bravo, mixed it as instructed (or so I thought) and mortared away. The mortar seemed to be OK and by mid November I was a little farther than before; I covered the oven with a tarp and left for a 2 week vacation. I returned to the coldest, wetest fall in the Central Valley in recent memory, so it was a while before I looked at the oven again. Imagine my dismay when in mid December I uncovered the job to find that the mortar had dried to dust and there was no adhesion whatsoever between any bricks; I could just lift them up and blow the dust away, see the pictures below
Attached Thumbnails
Marino's 42" oven-dsc_3371.jpg   Marino's 42" oven-dsc_3374.jpg   Marino's 42" oven-dsc_3472.jpg   Marino's 42" oven-dsc_3477.jpg  
Old 07-31-2011, 11:57 PM
Apprentice

Wow thats terrible, Have no real idea on the causes behind mortar spalling(?)... but you should really try to find out whats going on there..

Could there be something in the water?

sad to see such issues.. i'd be destroyed if mine did that..
Old 08-01-2011, 12:24 AM
Serf

So I spent the winter blues pondering the next course of action, like weather the oven stand would make a nice dog house with a planter on top. By late march, with nice weather again, I contacted Forno Bravo once more. This time they send me premixed mortar (just add water, about the degree of complexity I can handle in this project), and I am happy to report that this time it went well and today I finished the firebrick work after setting my 3 piece keystone. I have lots of pictures of the process that I can post if anyone is interested; here are the ones I found most interesting
Attached Thumbnails
Marino's 42" oven-dsc_2982.jpg   Marino's 42" oven-dsc_2966.jpg   Marino's 42" oven-dsc_3021.jpg   Marino's 42" oven-dsc_3060.jpg   Marino's 42" oven-dsc_3864.jpg