Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: low cost wfo build

Keith,

I see you are in good hands with Bookem...............good luck with the build and send pictures.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Peasant

cheers for the tip on freecycle!! already found some flags not to far away from me!!
in your opinion how critical do you think the vermicrete layer is over the rockwool? do you think it would be possible to render straight on to the rockwool and the oven still perform well? just i think i am quite tight for space and was hoping to get my oven on to a 4' by 6' pad (four 2' by 3' flags) that allows me 32" internal size and allowing for all sides 9" brickwork 2" thermal blanket 4" rockwool and 2x coat of render which brings me to very nearly 48" or 4' in width!! does setting your base at 45 degrees like you have allow for better space usage or was that just a personal preference? i'm going to get out in the garden this weekend anyway with the tape measure and have a good measure up if it ever stops raining!!!
Old 11-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Apprentice

Rockwool is very soft, so i'd probably say it'd be best to go 2" Ceramic Blanket, then 3"-4" Vermicrete, then the render. The Vermicrete will insulate well, not as well as the Rockwool, but provides a really good intermediate layer and base for the Render.
Render over Rockwool would be tricky to achieve and could be susceptible to damage easier as it'd be more of an eggshell, so you'd possibly need a good 2" of render.
My angled approach was a preference, but i wish i'd made a circular one in reality!
I'll have a measure up at the weekend, and let you know my ovens dimensions in relation to the pad size.
Catch you later.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Peasant

hey danno,

hows the oven doing? you had it lit recently? so tomorrows the big day for me finally making a start on the oven!! hoping to get the blockwork up in the morning for the stand, i'll start a build thread and post pics as i go so hopefully people can chip in with advice throughout the project!!

just a quick question if i may? what mix did you use for the dome construction? did you use fireclay? i was thinking something along the lines of 6,1,1. 6 silica sand, 1 lime, 1 cement. is that similar to what you used? also thought about adding 1 sharp sand in for a bit of extra strength.

keith
Old 05-19-2013, 04:38 PM
Serf

now this is cheap way to go
Garbage Can Pizza Oven SamanthaMenzies.com
Old 05-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Unfortunately, burning hot-dipped galvanized coatings is also very toxic.
Gulf likes this.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:55 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Unfortunately, burning hot-dipped galvanized coatings is also very toxic.
They say make sure you get an ungalvanized I still do not think this is a good idea.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Aren't all metal garbage bins galvanized? Using a 44 gallon ungalvanized drum would be better.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Peasant

thanks guys for the input i'm starting a build thread over in pompeii oven construction. hopefully you guys will follow it and add your wisdom!!
Old 05-25-2013, 12:21 AM
Apprentice

Hi Keith, i've been on holiday.

I didn't use fireclay or cement, as i wanted a more traditional approach.
I used a simple Hyraulic Lime mortar of 1 part NHL2: 1 part washed soft sand: 1 part washed sharp sand.
I contacted a few lime mortar artisans and a local guy to me who built a pottery kiln from red brick and lime mortar, and all said that i should be fine. The old ovens were built this way!

I only had an issue with the Lime Render being too "young" to handle such a harsh winter for the UK and its popped off. So, that's a job to repair soon, along with a revised chimney. I'm looking forward to more oven work!!

Good luck with your build.

p.s. if you wanted fine joints internally then a fine sand alone would suffice, then prop the outer edge with a tile or piece of timber. Once the joint has firmed up, you could point up the outer, larger joint, with a sharp sand mix.

Many have also foregone the fireclay and to my knowledge have been fine.

The more irregular the grains of sand, the stronger the mortar, but needs a thicker bed.

Good luck with your build.