Old 02-08-2012, 01:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Lilydale 42" build, Yarra Valley, Victoria, Australia

You need to not do a straight continuous joint as in the 4th pic right hand side, as it is a weak spot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:53 AM
andyshak

Thanks Al. Yes, I said to Molly that might get a comment but I was too lazy to cut and then taper a half brick. Will definitely bond the brickwork at that point in the next course. There is also a structural discontinuity at the connection to the vertical entry to the, arch, just near this point. We have a vertical one but others have an angled one if the back of the arch bricks are bevelled.

The brickwork for an igloo is a little unusual. I was wondering if any forum members have suffered serious structural damage due to such things or any other cause. Perhaps the igloo is inherently a forgiving and structurally sound shape...at least I hope so.

And I was also wondering what leads to firebrick cracking and how to prevent that. For example, is the distribution of mortar between brick courses a factor, causing localised stress concentrations. Or is it related to quality of firebricks. You have picked up hairline cracks in our bricks...there are many like that but you can only see them some of the internal cracks when they are cut.

This is a bit of a ramble...sorry about that.
Thanks again.
Andrew
Old 02-09-2012, 12:21 AM
andyshak

Aimed to complete the fourth course and the arch today....and failed.
Heard somewhere that one should set aside one day a week in which to 'fail' and that this was good practice for personal development. Say, 'fail' to get up early one day a week. Well today was such a day despite the best of intentions.

We are buiding this dome using tapered bricks (75/63mm taper). We very carefully laid the tapered bricks out on the floor to determine the best curve and geometry. Then a curved wood form guide was made.

Well today a fatal error in this approach was discovered.
This has led to the postulating of the
FIRST LAW OF TAPERED BRICK DOME CONSTRUCTION,
and this is:

"The radius described by tapered bricks stacked in an arch is greater than that described by the same bricks stacked in a dome"

In other words, the tapered bricks were not conforming to our wood form guide.
But there was a silver lining to the gathering dark clouds. We had deliberately planned for the dome to be a bit higher and were targeting an opening/dome height ratio of 59%. We had read somewhere in the forum that an 'allowable' range is 59-63%. Well, our discovery today has led us to modify the form guide and we will now get the 63% ration that everyone seems to accept as ideal.

But these setbacks we can do without and hope for plain sailing from now on.
The next fifth course will introduce the spectre of gravity and it must be decided if we will use the styrene 'mushroom' form we made or persist with the wood guide.

My fear of the styrene mushroom form is that it may be difficult to accurately align the face of the bricks and one could not see the finished interior face until the form is removed. Has anyone some advice here?

Being still hot and bothered, I am happy to say it is 'beer o'clock'. Cheers.
Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Lilydale 42" build, Yarra Valley, Victoria, Australia-20w-fourth-course.jpg   Lilydale 42" build, Yarra Valley, Victoria, Australia-21w-fourth-course2.jpg   Lilydale 42" build, Yarra Valley, Victoria, Australia-22w-fourth-course3.jpg  
Old 02-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Journeyman

I went with an indespensible tool and would do that or your wood form for the "next time" It was great to clean off the interior bricks from my sloppy mortar work, as it was being constructed. Also vertical alignment issues show up easily and with the correct consistency of mortar, the set time is relatively quick, allowing for the next brick placement in a few seconds.
Your build looks great! Keep up the superior work!

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 02-09-2012, 05:55 PM
andyshak

Thanks John. We will stick with the wood form and alter as required as the build proceeds.
I have been considering the entrance 'tunnel' and am trying to make it as shallow as possible. At the moment it will be ONE brick deep; i.e. 9" from the outer face of the internal arch; then some sort of shallow 5mm metal facade such as Scotty's on the Sunshine Coast). Am thinking about knocking off another inch to reduce that to 8". My aim is to maximise the accessibility to the oven. Am I worrying too much about this? (Molly thinks so!).
Andrew
Old 02-09-2012, 10:34 PM
andyshak

Fifth course completed today. The dome just cut across the corners of the arch; not in a major way. From now on I think we will dispense with the dome form guide and just press ahead.
After completing the next course we will remove the temporary wooden arch formwork. The arch bricks have no mortar between them at all and Molly does not think the arch will hold up.
Defying gravity so far but the next courses will test.
Andrew
Old 02-09-2012, 10:48 PM
andyshak

forgot to upload the pics....maybe need a day off.
Attached Thumbnails
Lilydale 42" build, Yarra Valley, Victoria, Australia-23w-fifth-course.jpg   Lilydale 42" build, Yarra Valley, Victoria, Australia-24w-storm-coming.jpg  
Old 02-11-2012, 02:46 AM
andyshak

Completed sixth and seventh courses today.
During laying the sixth, was hit by a major downpour which made things a bit tricky.
Thinking about going to quarter bricks for the next courses as the gaps under the centre of each brick is growing. Can't use thirds as the bricks have already been cut into halves!
Removed the arch support today. The arch, with no mortar, is still standing. Molly not convinced though and mutters about unnecessary 'risk taking'.
As others have mentioned, getting sick of cutting and then grinding. My advice; try to get proper good brick saw and life will be so much easier.

The flue opening is planned to be wide and narrow. Hoping to gain a 'venturi effect' as adopted on most traditional fireplace flues. Does anyone have thoughts about this?
Attached Thumbnails
Lilydale 42" build, Yarra Valley, Victoria, Australia-25w-sixth-course-complete.jpg   Lilydale 42" build, Yarra Valley, Victoria, Australia-26w-seventh-course-complete.jpg   Lilydale 42" build, Yarra Valley, Victoria, Australia-27w-seventh-course-complete-2.jpg  
Old 02-11-2012, 06:22 AM
Journeyman

Nice work so far! Beautiful mortar joints and your transition seems very smooth.
As far as the flue goes the wider the bottom and funnel effect you can get the better you will be. I used 8" square flue, which I angle cut to piece together a funnel, and I made the brick transition area wider at the bottom and came up to the funnel. Then it was the 8" flue up from that point. I have never had smoke coming out of the front of the oven, it all goes up the flue. I am extremely happy with how this turned out. Thanks to the people who did this before me that I copied!

John
Attached Thumbnails
Lilydale 42" build, Yarra Valley, Victoria, Australia-vent_hood_sml.jpg  

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 02-11-2012, 12:14 PM
andyshak

Thanks John. Yes, this forum is such a resource.
I get the 'streamlining' and 'funnelling', and that the bottom (where the flue meets the top of the arched opening, should be as wide as possible; in our case it will be the full width of the opening.
But how deep should it be? I have seem some on the forum that seem to be 6" deep, some maybe even more.
Looking at the flue sizes in our pizza shops, some are full width of the opening and only 3" deep, and are said to work perfectly. The narrow opening seems to create the venturi effect to which I referred before.
The deeper you make the opening the deeper must be the entrance, to state the obvious. And this means less accessibility.
I'll have to make a decision in the next few days and I'm not confident.
Thanks again,
Andrew