Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Les' Build (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html)

Les 06-03-2008 09:48 PM

Les' Build

3 Attachment(s)
OK - I'm back to the project, it's been a pretty crazy spring with the daughter graduating from college and all. I quit working last year after the 6th course. It was was getting pretty crazy with all the custom cuts so I went back to the drawing board. The 7th course had some issues because the brick started getting off bond, but that is what it's going to take without ripping up the previous work. By the 8th, it started to fall back in line. I think all is well at the 9th. Gravity is a bitch, but it just takes a little more time to hold the brick. I will keep this thread going but also post in the gallery for history.
And one pic for the record - me and my edjumakated daughter :)
Les...

Frances 06-04-2008 12:18 AM

Re: Les' Build

Good, you're back - I've been waiting for you to contuinue your dome for a long time.

Still don't know how you do it, but to me it looks perfect!

And Les... somehow I imagined you'd look totally different :).

SpringJim 06-04-2008 04:28 AM

nice pics Les! love the brickwork....why no soldier course though?

....they grow up quick eh? Pizza will bring them home too:)

asudavew 06-04-2008 06:13 AM

Wow! About time Les!

Still looking awesome.

And great pic of you and your daughter.

Proud papa!

Ken524 06-04-2008 09:33 AM

Awesome picture, Les. Thanks for sharing (oh and your pizza oven looks nice, too :)).

Glad to see you are back at work. I'm still amazed at your joints. How many pounds of mortar have you used? I can't imagine you've gone through a full bag yet.

Les 06-04-2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frances (Post 34084)

And Les... somehow I imagined you'd look totally different :).

Frances - don't know what to make of that.

Ken - I bought a bag of heat stop and blew through it in the beginning. At the cost of shipping, I started "rolling my own". I find the two extremely similar. It's taking about 3/4 of a grout bag to do a course.

Les...

james 06-04-2008 10:18 AM

Congratulations on the graduation. What a big day -- just getting through our daughter's first year of high schools feels like a big deal to us.

To get a jump on things, I want to nominate Les' dome brickwork and photos for Best of June.
James

SpringJim 06-04-2008 04:44 PM

Second that one:)

PizzaJNKY 06-04-2008 05:17 PM

Now that oven looks like perfection. Les, you keep that up, and I think James or the Artigiano builders are gonna recruit you to come work for them.

Les 06-04-2008 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james (Post 34126)

To get a jump on things, I want to nominate Les' dome brickwork and photos for Best of June.
James

WOW! Coming from the man that runs the forum, and obviously can control the tally - seems like a lock:) You are by far the ultimate super delegate. It seems a bit premature though, it always amazes me the creativity and cleverness that comes form our brothers and sisters of the brick. But hey - I appreciate the nod. Thanks!

Les...