Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 05:37 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Les' Build

love it!!! I can't wait to see what you do with the enclosure!!!

Congrats!

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:00 AM
Apprentice

CONGRATS! She is beautiful..wish ours was half as pretty!!

Keep us posted as to your progress!

Malinda

Old 07-03-2008, 07:18 AM
Master Builder

Congrats, Les! Looks awesome.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Journeyman

Awesome!

Looks great!!!

I can't believe how "neat and tidy" everything looks. Mine looks like a 1st grader build it.

Dick
Old 07-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Master Builder

Wow, Les, that's so terrific!
I don't know how you'll be able to stand lighting a fire in something so perfect and pristine ...are you going to make us all wait for it till Frances gets back??!!
Old 07-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks everyone for the complements - appreciate it. I was going to fire it up full throttle after I got back from this weekend, now I'm thinking I should get the flue on in case some mods are required. I also want to see how it draws, probably should wait until it's really ready for fire. I'm not too concerned about a cure time. The mortar is pretty thin and the temps have been in the mid 90's, humidity around 8%. And we all know cracks happen.

Everybody in the US have a safe 4th - everyone else, be safe.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

OK - on to the next level. These are a couple of pic's of the rough cut of the flue. I tried to take one shooting up-wards but the sun would not let me do that I will see how it draws and go higher and narrower if necessary.

David - how in the hell did you cut these. This stuff is incredibly hard. I got through it, but my grinding blade took a hit. If I have to go higher, I'm taking it to my neighbor and have him rip it on his 14 inch saw.

Les...
Attached Thumbnails
Les' Build-les-oven-176.jpg   Les' Build-les-oven-177.jpg  

Old 07-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

These things are amazing!!

My "cure Fire" pegged my thermometer, 950+ degrees. This morning I checked the dome temp - it was 262 degrees, no door, no insulation - awesome! The cracks seem to be minimal, so I would say that the approach of not using mortar inside the dome is a success. I may not even put another coat of mortar on like I was planning. I will fire it up again today and see if any of the cracks get bigger, if not, I'm wrapping this puppy up!

It took a while for the soot to burn off, but when it does, it is VERY cool to watch. I have some video that I will post (after I figure out Youtube). These pictures are taken the morning after - the one of the cracks shows the worse one, I don't think it's too bad.

Les...
Attached Thumbnails
Les' Build-picture-054.jpg   Les' Build-picture-056.jpg   Les' Build-picture-061.jpg   Les' Build-picture-034.jpg  

Last edited by Les; 07-12-2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: added morning after temp, fire for grins
Old 07-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Master Builder

Congratulations! Still looks awesome! Looks like your hard work has paid off.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
I may not even put another coat of mortar on like I was planning.
I wouldn't bother, either. You have plenty of thermal mass and it'll just crack from thermal movement like the first layer. I think you are good to go! That thing is absolutely awesome!

Updated!