Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Les' Build

I'm getting there - and it ain't easy! This is a shot of row 11 with the beginning of 12 (the last - big friggen woo hoo here). I have most of 11 cut - I just can't set them yet until they dry (I wash them after the cut). I'm hoping the keystone is dropping on Sunday That means the fire's of hell after the 4th.

Les...
Attached Thumbnails
Les' Build-les-oven-140.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:34 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Ah, but what a photo. Very soothing. Time and gravity suspended; perfection captured.
James
very impressive Les!
Old 06-27-2008, 09:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I still think it looks like magic... either that or trick photography.

Very very beautiful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchoven View Post
Super fantastic, Les! That was a lot of "using your noodle" as a friend of mine always said! How are you going to handle those little voids under that course at the door? You probably don't have to but with the attention to detail that you have shown so far I thought you might have a plan in place already!
Best
Dutch
Impressed with Les' work I went to the beginning of the thread to see the progress. When I went back to fix my crack that started at the side of the door and went up, I decided to redo my vent opening and also to reinforce this void area under that course at the door. I stopped after two supports that went in the gap (to much working upside down) and used several thin layers of refmix to fill that void.
I'll be real interested seeing responses to Dutch's question.

Les, did you appreciate the raise once college tuition was over

"It's time to go Vertical"

Old 06-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

RC - I responded to Dutch's question (link #19). I really don't see a lot that can be done in that area other than slinging mud or hanging brick - either approach doesn't seem to me to be an improvement. I'll take a look at it when I have to crawl in there for the keystone (ONE time only).

Jim - I noticed your question about a soldier course - I didn't see a real benefit doing that and I was after the "perfect arch". I may be dead wrong after I start cooking, don't know yet.

All... thanks for the complements, appreciate it.

Les...

Old 06-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
I'll take a look at it when I have to crawl in there for the keystone (ONE time only).

Les...
I agree with you, I'm not crawling in it again. My neck is still sore.

"It's time to go Vertical"

Old 06-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think I can avoid it altogether - I may have my wife convinced that she needs to be inside when I set the brick.

Les...

Old 06-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
I'll take a look at it when I have to crawl in there for the keystone (ONE time only).
We need a photo of this. A good one with your legs sticking out.
James

Old 06-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Les, daughters also work very well for that inside the oven work. Besides being small and thin (excuse me, petite), which I am not......she owes me (at least thats what I told her).....surprisingly she slid herself right in and prodeeded to do the final pointing and cleanup.

RT
Old 06-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

James - I think you would prefer a picture of my wife's legs sticking out

RT - my daughter just graduated from college - masonry is so not her

I may avoid the chamber altogether (and my wife) - I drew a template that may work for the inside cut - then it's just a grout bag from done. I ran 2 bricks shy of getting it done tonight. Up my brick count to 277.

Thanks guys!

Les...