Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Les' Build

Les, I was thinking about your dome and it's very different relative to the amount of thermal mass available in an immediate sense as compared to most if not every other dome on the site.

Let me explain. The bricks of your dome do not have mortar to obstruct the rapid movement of cold away from 5 sides of these bricks, the face and the four sides that would on more normal domes be covered in mortar. I would expect that this would allow the heat to soak these bricks faster than the bricks of a “normal” dome, where the heat has to transit through the mass of the mortar or brick to saturate these dome bricks. Your dome bricks are more like a heat sink on a electronic component than a consistent dense layer, more conduits for heat to move in to and out of. Because there isn’t a control for comparative data I don’t expect to know, but I’d bet that your oven heats quicker and if you bake, that it equalizes to a set temp quicker.

I always thought your oven was interesting and original and got to thinking about how it might act different. None of this makes a hoot of difference relative to pizza or other foods, but I figured I pass the thought along.

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 08-29-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Master Builder

Chris,
Not meaning to nit pick but your line "the rapid movement of cold away from 5 sides of these bricks," is incorrect. Cold is simply the lack of heat, it is not something unto itself but rather the brick is simply gaining something (thermal energy) it had less of. In this sense the mortar between the bricks may have a different ability to transfer heat than uniform dry set brick construction.

There have been some "analysis" of brick hearths versus a continuous one piece hearth. If one were to believe what Woodstone says, a single one piece hearth (and it might/would follow single piece dome) would be faster to heat and recharge than one composed of individual bricks.
Here's a link to their comparison:

Oven Comparisons - Points of Difference for Comparing Ovens | Wood Stone

I think that there is alot of variables to take into account, not the least of which is the difference in expansion from the relatively high heat of the dome top to the relatively low heat of the dome near the base especially during fireup. In the case of individual bricks (either dry set or mortared together) the stresses would be limited to and accounted by each brick and the thermal gradient of its location whereas the stresses in a single piece WFO would be upon the whole. Depending upon the material this might cause earlier failure of the dome.

Woodstone's rap may or may not have basis in actuality or maybe simply the conjecture of their marketing and design people.

Bests,
Wiley
Old 06-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

What I can imagine is that the gaps between the bricks provide a channel for the heat and cold to move through, where a solid surface of brick and mortar will have a different flow.

As I said it's just interesting imagining how these differences might actually act, or not, in reality.

:-)

Chris
Old 06-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCChris View Post
but I’d bet that your oven heats quicker and if you bake, that it equalizes to a set temp quicker.
I'm not sure how much faster it get's to temp but I understand your rational. I give it about 2 hours with a moderate fire - isn't that about the norm? The next time I fire it up (probably fathers day) I will try and get the exact time it takes to burn clean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Last edited by Les; 06-13-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If anything, dry fit will transmit less heat, unless the cuts are perfect, as there will be air gaps (i.e. thermal breaks) not present with a mortared system.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Les.

Tscar, I also thought about the gaps actually acting as insulation like little areas of disruption in air flow. It's just fun to think about what is actually happening and how it might differ..

Chris
Old 08-28-2012, 11:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Probably not the best place to put this but I will lose it if I don't

This is in response to having a heat break - not sure if it's going to buy anything...

I fired up the oven tonight and the pizza was fantastic. After the fact, I shot some numbers and I was fairly surprised. I had the door on for about 45 minutes. On the inside ( numbers relate to the lines, 9:10 PM) I read 500 deg and on the outside I read 290. That's pretty huge considering the distance is only one brick thickness plus the door. The door is on and I will measure it again in the morning. This may confirm what I had suspected in the fact that fire brick is a shitty conductor of heat.

8:30 AM - 428 inside, 223 outside
9:00 PM - 348 inside, 195 outside (this is after I just cooked a chicken and a few potatoes)
8:50 AM - 298 inside, 165 outside
Attached Thumbnails
Les' Build-oven-temps-lines.jpg  
texman likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Les; 08-30-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Had a pretty big party tonight - made 20 balls. There are so many people out there that don't have a clue as to how awesome our ovens are! When you slide in their design, and give it back to them in less then 2.5 minutes, they are truly surprised. It was a good night - and it's amazing how much wine was left. I have never posted a pic of something from the WFO - here is the first. 9 ounce ball (learned that from the FB open house). It's a perfect size.

Les...:
Hi Les,
I noticed the curved marks on the inside of your oven. Did you put the cut faces of the brick toward the inside? I am curious because I have a line on some used fire brick and they are a bit chipped. If I could use the cut face this would provide a much sharper interior line. I haven't started my build yet. Still collecting the materials.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jimney,

Yes I did. Pretty much all the brick has the cut side in the interior. There were a few that were clean so it was just a matter of chance on what side faced in.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Les has one of the few mortarless builds on this forum. I tried to mimic his build with his cuts and fitting and mimimal mortar but never could come close. Thank god for homebrew!