Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Les' Build

Well, if I'm grilling, I don't care if the whole oven's hot. I wouldn't even use the oven for it at all if I had a separate grill thingy built. I do heat the coals up in the landing, so the walls and the roof do get pretty hot. To be honest, I'm too short to successfully use the grill in the oven much further. I can move pizzas, etc. because the peels have long handles, but I find that using the grill too far in is not easy for me. I burn my arms on the walls, etc.

I've done plenty of roasting, etc. in the oven with fire, but it's all sitting on the floor. Something about the angle I end up with using the grill all the way in doesn't work for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Peasant

You are all making me very hungry

Regards
Joe
Old 05-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfiore View Post
No benefit to heating the oven up all the way first? Otherwise, how's it different than a grate over an open fire?
Good question Mike. The benefit I see is that the mess is totally contained. To cook a couple of steaks takes way less fuel then getting the whole dome up to temp, and a lot less time. And they did taste great, I'll do it again.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I second Mark... And to expand to answer some of the questions... I basically build a regular pizza fire. I shove the wood to the back AFTER the dome clears so I have flames running up the dome and rake the coals out to the front and put the grate on top of the coals. Let it sit a few minutes to get really hot. Then the steak goes on. The temp is probably in the 1050 to 1150 range and the steak cooks FAST. And the flavor is exceptional. About the only way I will do steaks now.

Some suggestions. Use good steaks. The quick cooking will not improve mediocre steaks! And rubbing with olive oil and sprinkling with a good rub are a good idea. And relatively thin steaks are good. Avoid Tuscan style T-bones that can be several inches thick. The interior will never even warm up before the outside is burned.

Salud!
Jay
Old 08-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You see this - THERE WAS TWICE AS MUCH! I ran to the store to buy more flour for hot dog buns - I get back and the dog ate this amount, in less then 5minutes (I was a little pissed)

I'm trying to get better at this baking thing - apparently my dog likes my cooking

Les...
Attached Thumbnails
Les' Build-bread-005.jpg  

Old 08-05-2009, 05:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Les,

Your pictures made me hungry to try wood-fired hot dog buns. Could you post the recipe for us?

Updated!

Old 08-05-2009, 06:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good job Les, glad to see you are giving it a try - which I can't say myself. 2 1/2 yrs and I still have not baked anything. Stupid, yes........the one aspect of cooking that scares me (there is no "fudge factor"), bread is usually really good or really bad; my efforts in an indoor oven have always been really bad.

Glad to see you broadening your horizon.....post more pics as you progress

RT
Old 08-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ken - I found the receipt on the web and it was a disaster. The dough couldn't have risen more then 5%. I ended up with thick bread sticks I just tried some standard white bread mix and it's a little better. I think the ticket is to use some pans for shaping. As the dough rises it tends to flatten out. It would probably work well for hamburger buns.

RT - Give it a shot. If you fail, blame it on heat management. It's amazing how fast you can cook breads. When the receipt calls for a cook time of 30 -35 minutes, I haven't had anything in there longer then 15.

Les...

Old 08-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

OK - this worked - kept the bitch from eating today's work My daughter gave me some starter for San Fancisco sourbread - it taste great! The two buns on the left are my second attempt at hotdog buns. I need improvement.

Les...
Attached Thumbnails
Les' Build-bread2-001.jpg   Les' Build-bread2-002.jpg  

Old 08-06-2009, 06:23 AM
Master Builder

Les
You're doing good! For things like buns...pans are very important...or you can pack them tight on a sheet pan...if you don't do either of those things they definitely proof outward instead of upward...jumbo muffin pan will help if you do hamburger buns...look for a recipe for "pain de mie" unfortunately I don't have one offhand but I will see if I can find one in our resources...if you use a bun pan for the hotdog buns you get more the chicago style bun and I would suggest a bit of eggwash and some poppy seeds...if you pack them close on a sheet pan you should get results more like wonder(sorry to have to mention the name on the forum) flat on the bottom rounded top and have to bread them apart...anyway good luck and keep it up...
RT Give it a try...lots of experienced helpers here...
Best
Dutch