Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Les' Build

Nice door Les! I like the wire wrap on the handles. Where did you find those handles, by the way? I was looking for some like that and came up empty-handed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Bill - I believe that FB's door is only 1/4 plate steel. If that is the case, I should be golden.

Dusty - I saved some of my board for the door, but at the end I didn't want to slice the stuff. It was a nasty job cutting it for the hearth. I'm sure it would have been a more efficient way to go.

DB - I made the handles. I just cut the aluminum 1 inch wide and formed it (I used a grinding wheel to get the radius). The wire wrap is 10 ga copper from home depot.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Really great door Les! The #10 copper wire wrapped handles have a real artistic touch. It's got color, texture, the door retains heat and looks good too. You've come up with lot's of neat stuff for us to consider. Thanks man.
-Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:30 AM
Journeyman

Les,
Its nice hearing from you on your build thread. More inspiration! As always your door is very clean and tight. The handles make it, they are really cool. I'm anxious to hear how it performs. Although I think we know already.

Mark
Old 01-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Les,
Wonderful! Stunning! Congrats on finishing your masterpiece. Well worth spending the extra time to finese the dome and finish work. Job well done!

I skipped a bunch of the thread in my attempt to catch up. What BBQ did you decide on to complete your island?

G.

-
Old 01-25-2009, 06:41 AM
Apprentice

Les, You are a true artisan and now mentor. Thanks for sharing.
Bill

Oven Build:

Progress pictures:

Cooking pictures:

Old 01-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
What BBQ did you decide on to complete your island?

G.

I went with the Jenn Air.
Attached Thumbnails
Les' Build-bbq.jpg  

Old 01-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

An update on the door.
After cooking pizza's ( Saturday night) I went out and put in the door. The hearth was 611 deg. The next morning it was at 464. I baked 2 batches of bread Sunday afternoon (in the snow) and the temp was down to 337. I checked it tonight (48 hours after the fire) and it's at 226. I would think that it's working well enough. I do feel warmth on the outside so it's far from perfect. Also, it's been pretty cold - 25 deg at 5:00 PM. I know some of you in the NE would consider that balmy - just shows you what cold can do to your brain

Les...

Last edited by Les; 01-26-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sounds like great numbers to me Les. Mine goes from 800 to 400 in about an hour. One bread bake is all that I can muster before its too cold. I stay at 300 or so for the next 24 hours. After that, I'm just drying wet wood.

How's the Jenn Air working? I fretted over BBQs for ages. After reading so many poor reports on grills and warrantees, I opted for a lower-end, but none-the-less, nice AOG grill. I did get an optional infrared burner for my grill. That thing is incredible! Best decision I made in the whole project.

-

Last edited by gjbingham; 01-26-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post

How's the Jenn Air working?.
Im liking it. I have an issue with water getting into the drip pan, but I have made no attempt at sealing it. When we get back to BBQ weather I am going to run a bead of silicon under the flanges. In regard to your heat loss are you insulated yet?

Les...