Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Les' Build

Outstanding job Les! Congratulations

I know I have used many ideas from your build so thanks for sharing your journey.

Time to start cooking!

Check out my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Serf

Great and nice job......
Old 12-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Journeyman

I think I'm the only one that looks at Les's build and am reminded of my own inadequacies. Great work Les...we're all a little jealous.

See ALL of my pictures here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you built it, and it cooks, I don't think inadequacies would apply. I think you have done an outstanding job - I love your island, has a lot going on.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Journeyman

Breven, You are NOT the only one. I have Les's thread bookmarked and am constantly referring to it. I think that is why mine is taking so long.

Mark

Last edited by exceloven; 12-15-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey I had it even worse... I was building my oven dome at the same time as Les! Let me tell you it was a major embarassement every time I posted pics.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I personally think they're all a testament to how fun it can be. Depends on your idea of fun! They're also all a testament to how different approaches can all work, and work well. Local materials, check. Cheap insulators, check. Modern materials, leftover stuff, all good!

The constants, to my mind, are good insulation, no matter what kind, and dry wood. Oh, and the excellent Forno Bravo plans, of course. They're a fantastic jumping off place!

Old 01-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I finished my door last night. Working with metal in a wood shop makes things a little harder than they need to be. Our shop at work couldn't get to it and I got tired of waiting. I started off trying to use ss screws (countersunk) but it was failing miserably - had to go with pop rivets. The door is filled with loose vermiculite. Hopefully I can see how well it's going to retain the heat this weekend.

Les...
Attached Thumbnails
Les' Build-door-003.jpg  

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Apprentice

Looks great Les.

Let me know how she works out. I've yet to make an insulated door and was thinking along your lines. I'm still amazed at how long these things hold heat with just a thin metal plate blocking the airway...

Take care,

Bill

Check out my build
Old 01-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Master Builder

That looks great...and I'm sure it will work great too. Mine is very similar but I have that "FB" board inside. Works fine.

dusty