Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2008, 06:52 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Les' Build

Les, I have 2 blankets insulation 4" total plus 1 inch vermiculite/portland.
The drop down of the temperature is exponential, 1000K at night pizza time, 9am next day 400-500 bread time and then it stays around 200 for other 1-2 days. Ciao Carlo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

OK - anybody have a brick stretcher? (the top left brick is short) If the brick gods made fire brick the same size as decorative brick, I wouldn't be in this dilemma. It looks like I need to rip all the brick on the left and right side of my entry. I also need to rip a row of brick to get them level with the entry way. (ignore the cores, I do have solids, they are just more cumbersome to play with). I have a question for you all, When I split the entry way row - what is more esthetically pleasing, put it in the middle, bottom or top? I have my own bias - just pinging the planet.

thanks,

Les...
Attached Thumbnails
Les' Build-les-oven-011.jpg  

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:48 PM

The brick gods make fire bricks bigger than common brick, because the former are laid up with minimal mortar joints, whereas the regular brick use 3/8" or bigger mortar joints. A mating wall of the two types should pretty much line up.

If I grabbed the right one, this photo should show the thin commons lining up with the fat firebricks because of the joint size difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Les' Build-fireplace-001.jpg  
Old 07-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Les, PLEASE, no ripping out any of your fantastic work. I would agree that you have a dilemma based on your proposed facade, BUT I would use this as an opportunity to get creative around the entry. You can still use the red bricks so it matches the base....just try a few variations (cut bricks standing on end, or cut to length standing on the long edge.....etc). Have a little fun with it, all you need to do is have it appear that you are NOT trying to match the firebrick and whatever pattern you decide will look cool.....this could be your oportunity to show the world your creative side. We already know your a master builder/oven technician. Whatever you decide I am certain will be executed near perfection.....I'm just saying, look at all your options before you start dismantling anything. GOOD LUCK!

RT
Old 07-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTflorida View Post
Les, PLEASE, no ripping out any of your fantastic work.

RT
RT - LOL. By ripping, I meant slicing the brick to make it narrower. I'm anal - not stupid The width of the fire brick vs the commons caused the problem. It's not so obvious until I get to the arch.

David - I think you may have misunderstood me as well. I sliced (ripped) my brick to achieve the reveal I have on the arch. Thats when the train went off the tracks. I have to match a 4.5 inch brick in the vertical to a 3.5 inch in the horizontal

RT - I'll figure it out and make me proud (thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it)

Les...

Old 08-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I grouted the tile tonight and solved my problem with the size difference between fire and common brick. Pretty simple when you think about it, it's called a pistol cut - gets everything back on line.

Les...
Attached Thumbnails
Les' Build-les-oven-017.jpg  

Old 08-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I knew it would come to you without doing any destruction
Really looks good, you're a wizard with a tile saw.

RT
Old 08-05-2008, 02:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well it certainly looks like I missed out on a lot of fun here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
The cracks seem to be minimal, so I would say that the approach of not using mortar inside the dome is a success.
That is cool, congratulations Les!

... So it's agreed then, we put Les' oven in the building plans and tell all the new builders that that is exactly how it has to be done....

Old 08-05-2008, 06:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Pretty simple when you think about it, it's called a pistol cut - gets everything back on line.

Les...
Problem solved.

Excellent as usual Les.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 08-05-2008, 07:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Les,

The tile work looks great. I just started cutting mine last night.

Are you going to leave the outer edges of the tile overlapping the brick stand? I really like the way it looks, just wondering if you are concerned about chipping or sharp edges?

Updated!