Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 01:36 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Keiths 32" build in north yorkshire uk

hi

david - sounds like you have a mean oven i hope mine operates that well!!
so your opening is 160mm high? is that not abit of a squeeze getting a turkey in?

i have now decided i am upping the oven size to 34" and going for a 18 by 11 inch arch opening! it's tight for room but i'm pretty sure i can fit it on! i'm going to have 7 1/2 to 8 inch either side after my brickwork to fit insulation and render finish in thats should be ok shouldn't it?

anyway tonight i have drawn out a template on 6mm ply for my oven bottom and opening and landing so i can now lay my storage heater bricks out and trace round it then get cutting!!

Keiths 32" build in north yorkshire uk-pizza-oven-003-1280x960-.jpg
Old 06-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Peasant

a few more pictures! got the floor in today, the arch built and the first course round. i went for a half soldier course for the first course as i thought a full brick was too high.

the next tricky bit i'm thinking is going to be the transition over the arch!! i can't quite get my head around it yet but, i think it will become more clear when i get up there. i will have to cut the angle off the back of the arch bricks in situ as i didn't know what angle or how much too cut off them as i was building it

Keiths 32" build in north yorkshire uk-oven-001-1280x960-.jpg

Keiths 32" build in north yorkshire uk-oven-002-1280x960-.jpg
Old 06-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Journeyman

Looking good, Keith!

I also used "half-height" soldiers and so far that seems to have worked well.

I also built my arch-dome transition in situ. It was tricky and I ended up with some gaps and "crevices". SableSprings recommended that I fill these crevices before continuing and that is what I did. His post is here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/32...tml#post153034 (32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California)

So if possible try and avoid getting deep crevices when you do the transition. There are plenty of posts in this forum that show very nice dome-arch transitions. Good luck!
Old 06-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstronach View Post
hi

david - sounds like you have a mean oven i hope mine operates that well!!
so your opening is 160mm high? is that not abit of a squeeze getting a turkey in?
Yes it is a squeeze. Like I said I can just fit in a 5 Kg turkey. My oven has a floor area the same size as a standard domestic oven, but it's fine for cooking roast s for our family or as many pizzas (one at a time) as you want.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Peasant

hi got behind on the updates abit! this last week i have managed to get the dome completed! i'll pop a few photos up of along the way!

Keiths 32" build in north yorkshire uk-001-1280x960-.jpg

dome to arch transition wasn't as bad as i thought it was was going to be! i angled some off the back of my arch and shaped a brick either side in to the arch, had to mortar the middle in a bit as the bricks didn't quite meet the arch on the line of my indispencible tool, if that makes sense!
Keiths 32" build in north yorkshire uk-pizza-oven-002-1280x960-.jpg

next i made some forms out of the kingspan i had
Keiths 32" build in north yorkshire uk-pizza-oven-004-1280x960-.jpg

then filled inbetween with expanding foam, which when set i cut to the shape of the dome to create the form, it worked a treat!
Keiths 32" build in north yorkshire uk-pizza-oven-005-1280x960-.jpg

and finally a finished dome!
Keiths 32" build in north yorkshire uk-oven-002-1280x960-.jpg
Old 06-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Peasant

got the forms took out this morning and tidied up the bricks inside. i rushed finishing abit as i wanted to close it in the few hours i had after work, but i'm fairly pleased with the out come, after all i was going for a rustic look! and it was never going to be perfect using the old red bricks! i cut all the bricks with a hammer and bolster basically to save on time, noise and most of all dust, some of the cuts could probably have been better!

Keiths 32" build in north yorkshire uk-oven-001-1280x960-.jpg

next up is the landing and chimney and hopefully it will stay dry for the next few weeks here so i can get the curing fires underway then get it insulated and rendered up!
cobblerdave and Gulf like this.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Journeyman

Hi Keith

it is looking good! I'm glad you found a good use for that XtraTherm

Nice dome interior! You'll be curing in no time

Neil
Old 06-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Apprentice

Nice looking dome for hammer and bolster cuts only.

It could probably be called 'old-school'. I like it.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:38 AM
Serf

Looking good, new to the forum and trying to ind som uk guys to get more local ideas
Old 06-24-2013, 01:58 PM
Peasant

a couple more updates . . .

got the flue set in place now. i shuttered the gap in between my front and back arch and filled with a mix of sharp sand vermiculite lime and cement angled into the flue.

Keiths 32" build in north yorkshire uk-003-1280x960-.jpg

tonight i have insulated the dome, not as bad as i thought it was going to be! i ended up cutting triangles out and the pinning back together with bits of wire, worked rather well! ive got 4 inch of ceramic blanket, the last layer is abit patchwork in places and i had to use a little bit of rockwool to finish off as i had used every scrap of the CB!

next step is mesh it over then get a render coat slapped on! went to the builders supply today and got a roll of chicken wire. i thought this would be easier to use on the dome than the proper expanding metal, however the exp metal is thicker gauge so the render has more to get hold of so to speak so i may now go back and get some of that instead! what mesh did others use and did it work ok?

keith

Keiths 32" build in north yorkshire uk-005-1280x960-.jpg

ps . . i know its not the most attractive flue but it was free so that works for me!!