Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 04:14 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: K79 Oven Build

Using a halogen light, then heat beads / briquettes before lighting your first low fire seems to be the standard curing method these days. It worked well for me - I only got a small hairline crack.

I like the analogy comparing a crack to a ding in your car door. You will curse when you first see it and you can patch it up as best you can but in the end it won't have any effect on performance.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Journeyman

Kingsford is in the garage. Ill use that tomorrow and try and keep it below 350F for at least 6 hours tomorrow.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:30 AM
Journeyman

Light the charcoal at 5 am. At 7 am I was just over 200F. Definitley going slow.

Exciting to see smoke coming out my vent. I'ld say about 95% is coming out the arch. Hopefully almost all of it will with the chimney on !

Here's my vermiculite. Look like the right stuff? The guy at the hardware store knew less about it than me. In fact it was in the back of the warehouse and not even in their computer anymore. I got a heck of a good deal on it

Old 06-21-2013, 05:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow that's very fine particles...nothing like what I have used in the past. But since you aren't depending on it for insulation it should tool out nicely over that blanket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 06-21-2013, 05:45 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Wow that's very fine particles...nothing like what I have used in the past. But since you aren't depending on it for insulation it should tool out nicely over that blanket.
Well I sort of am depending on it for insulation. I mean I have 3" of fiber blanket on the oven, but I was hoping this would also add some insulating factors. Check out post #423... it says it reduces heat transfers by 50%. I hope its ok???
Old 06-21-2013, 06:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

It will, but finer particles will have less airspace between them than coarse vermiculite...greater air space between the particles has a greater insulating factor.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 06-21-2013, 06:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by K79 View Post
Well I sort of am depending on it for insulation. I mean I have 3" of fiber blanket on the oven, but I was hoping this would also add some insulating factors. Check out post #423... it says it reduces heat transfers by 50%. I hope its ok???
Just looked at it...that's block fill and the heat transfer is related to ambient temperature through masonry...not wood fired ovens. Don't count on 50% using it as insulated cladding. Like I said, it still has some value, just not as good as course vermiculite...how much is the question.

It's not big deal..you have the blanket on there too.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 06-21-2013, 08:06 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Just looked at it...that's block fill and the heat transfer is related to ambient temperature through masonry...not wood fired ovens. Don't count on 50% using it as insulated cladding. Like I said, it still has some value, just not as good as course vermiculite...how much is the question.

It's not big deal..you have the blanket on there too.
Ok, I think I'll just go with it. There were some other larger type insulation there but it didn't say vermiculite.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:07 AM
Journeyman

I started my fire at 5 am and at 9 am the temp was a little over 200F. I doubled the amount of coal I've been putting on and it is now 10 am and I'm at 300F. I'll try and hold it here as long as I can. 1 hour and 100 degrees is considered still slow right?

Last edited by K79; 06-21-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Apprentice

try uline (google uline its a office factory material store)for vermiculite thats were i purchased it it is sold for packing and shipping of hazz mat materials due to its absorption the tech guy knew all about it they have 3 grades available i recieved it in 2 days. 2 large bags, cheap!!!!
SCChris likes this.