Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: K79 Oven Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Read the thread on curing in "firing your oven"
Oh I read that whole thread already. Didn't know if there were any new thoughts on the topic.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Journeyman

K79

I found it hard to keep the oven at a particular temperature - so I based it mostly off the amount of wood. For the first few fires I burnt only kindling - then started progressively adding some bigger logs until about Day 12 when I then fired it up all the way and cleared the dome for the first time. I'm not saying this is the best way but it worked for me!
Old 06-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by boerwarrior View Post
K79

I found it hard to keep the oven at a particular temperature - so I based it mostly off the amount of wood. For the first few fires I burnt only kindling - then started progressively adding some bigger logs until about Day 12 when I then fired it up all the way and cleared the dome for the first time. I'm not saying this is the best way but it worked for me!
How long did you hold your first few fires?
Old 06-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Journeyman

only about an hour or two.. i know that is less than recommended but I figured it wouldn't hurt to start drying it out slowly. I'm also lucky because is has rained here only once in the last 3 months and the relative humidity is generally under 40% all summer.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by boerwarrior View Post
only about an hour or two.. i know that is less than recommended but I figured it wouldn't hurt to start drying it out slowly. I'm also lucky because is has rained here only once in the last 3 months and the relative humidity is generally under 40% all summer.
That's way too much for the first few fires IMO. Start the first one for about 15 mins, then increase daily. Allowing the oven to even out in temp between fires reduces the huge temp difference between the top and bottom of the dome each time. The top of the dome dries first and so will heat up again so much faster which exacerbates the temperature difference and hence the uneven expansion.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Journeyman

The FB Plans (version 2) state this:

Day 1. Maintain a fire temperature of 300F throughout the
day and as long as possible into the evening. If you cannot
continually run a 300F for at least six hours, repeat step 1
for a second day before moving on to Day 2.

But I would go with David S's suggestion. I don't think it hurts to be very conservative when curing!
Old 06-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Saying maintain a 300F temp is a bit misleading, because it depends on how you are measuring the temp and where you are taking the readings. An IR will only give you the surface temp and the crown of the dome will be way hotter than the walls at base. Likewise an air temp thermometer will read lower at floor level. I prefer to use an air temp thermometer at floor level. Try to avoid flame impingement on the dome for early fires.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

An alternative, which I don't think is in the curing section would be KD's Heat Bead method (Karangi Kitchen 48inch ready to start). That would be" charcoal" here in the states. I used a (Mississippi 44")blast/smoking door with thermometer and a damper in the flu/U][/B] to help control the temps. I think that partially restricting and adjusting the exit of the flu with some temporary placement of brick or other non combustible would work for those who do not have a damper. It takes a little work, but it keeps the danger of direct flame impingement, uneven heating,and the natural urge to ramp up the fire , to a minimum .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, I totally agree Gulf. I've been using heat beads for years because they don't flame up like wood to give you that out of control fire. Use some small wood in addition to the heat beads. For some reason FB state that their warranty is void if owners use coal or charcoal, maybe too hot. The heat beads in Australia are made from brown coal and I think burn a bit more gently. Brickettes is another name for this fuel.
I've built close on 100 ovens so have driven the water out of plenty. Just when the thing starts to dry a bit, so does the fire want to start raging. Be careful this is a danger point. Go slow until that persistent ring of black around the base disappears.

There is another method I sometimes use which is safer for the oven, but potentially more dangerous for the operator, however we are banned from discussing it.

Last edited by david s; 06-17-2013 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Thought of more
Old 06-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thank's David,
The Heat Bead Method does work great! And to coin a term from my "oil patch" years is "worm proof" (worm is = but not greater than novice )
About the latter mentioned method. I had the equipment and the means to try this. But, not all of the safety features, nor the blls try it