Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 12:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: K79 Oven Build

Why are you waiting? I built a fire in mine within minutes of finishing it, and had it fully cured over a week.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by K79 View Post
I've seen others that have done it this way and asked prior and nobody mentioned it was an issue. I read some threads and was unable to find anyone say it would fall apart. Each brick is one solid piece. Those tapers are cut into one brick. The front 3.5" of the arch is all connected and in compression holding them in place. All of my bricks are tapered really tight. Unless the front of my arch blows out and my tapers crack at their joints there's no way it's coming down. That, the buttress, and the mortar I think I'm all set. Not to mention before I even had the keystone in place the arch was holding itself up. No reason it should fall.
I think David means the bricks between your two arches that curve up toward your flue - which appear not to be tied into the arches on either side. Most builders stagger the center bricks into the arch on either side so they're supported by the arch, not just the mortar. If you built it without tying the bricks into the arch, and the mortar bond between the middle bricks and the arch bricks to either side breaks - then they could drop into your oven. Not saying it will. But I could see how it could happen. But then you also could have them sitting on top of your arch, which one couldn't see in that picture.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I'm waiting 28 days. My first fire will be June 29. Don't rush your dome. You'll get it done when it's done. I know easier said than done. Your's is looking good !
Seems a little conservative. I may have waited a week because of a short vacation. Came back and went full throttle out of the gate - zero cracks. There is no guarantee that time is the answer. I have a driveway that is 20 years old and it's getting cracks

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
I think David means the bricks between your two arches that curve up toward your flue - which appear not to be tied into the arches on either side. Most builders stagger the center bricks into the arch on either side so they're supported by the arch, not just the mortar. If you built it without tying the bricks into the arch, and the mortar bond between the middle bricks and the arch bricks to either side breaks - then they could drop into your oven. Not saying it will. But I could see how it could happen. But then you also could have them sitting on top of your arch, which one couldn't see in that picture.
Take a look at post #354 and #355. There are no bricks between my inner and outer arch. There is only my inner and outer. Those cuts you see I cut into my outer arch bricks.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Seems a little conservative. I may have waited a week because of a short vacation. Came back and went full throttle out of the gate - zero cracks. There is no guarantee that time is the answer. I have a driveway that is 20 years old and it's getting cracks
Might be but I have so much going on here to keep me busy why not wait...

As far as your driveway... pavement is a little different than masonry I'ld say if you got 20 years out of your driveway thats pretty good, especially if you live in a freeze/thaw environment.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
i like the shape, but is anything stopping those bricks from dropping? They don't appear to be supported or tied in.
I have to agree with David on this. I try to think of every brick, arch, etc. in terms of support. Would that brick, or arch still be structurally sound if the mortar turned to dust?

just sayin'

Old 06-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I've seen others that have done it this way and asked prior and nobody mentioned it was an issue
They may have not been reading your thread. I think Gulf and David have a point. I see no compressive load holding in your vent transition bricks. It looks awesome but what is holding them in place when the mortar bond is compromised?

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
They may have not been reading your thread. I think Gulf and David have a point. I see no compressive load holding in your vent transition bricks. It looks awesome but what is holding them in place when the mortar bond is compromised?
There is 3.5" of brick in the front forming a full arch with all tapered brick creating the compressive load. If I got rid of that mortar right now that arch would still hold true. How could that brick slide down? Something would have to give on the front side of the brick.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:40 PM
Laborer

I think Ken524 did his very similar to yours and as far as I know has reported no problems. I would think that the compression on the one side should hold, provided the arch doesn't move away from the inner arch, it shouldn't be able to drop should it?

Link to my build:
Old 06-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbruning View Post
I think Ken524 did his very similar to yours and as far as I know has reported no problems. I would think that the compression on the one side should hold, provided the arch doesn't move away from the inner arch, it shouldn't be able to drop should it?
Amen brother