Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree29Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #371  
Old 06-13-2013, 12:46 PM
Tscarborough's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ausitn
Posts: 3,077
Default Re: K79 Oven Build

Why are you waiting? I built a fire in mine within minutes of finishing it, and had it fully cured over a week.
Reply With Quote
  #372  
Old 06-13-2013, 04:28 PM
deejayoh's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,347
Default Re: K79 Oven Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by K79 View Post
I've seen others that have done it this way and asked prior and nobody mentioned it was an issue. I read some threads and was unable to find anyone say it would fall apart. Each brick is one solid piece. Those tapers are cut into one brick. The front 3.5" of the arch is all connected and in compression holding them in place. All of my bricks are tapered really tight. Unless the front of my arch blows out and my tapers crack at their joints there's no way it's coming down. That, the buttress, and the mortar I think I'm all set. Not to mention before I even had the keystone in place the arch was holding itself up. No reason it should fall.
I think David means the bricks between your two arches that curve up toward your flue - which appear not to be tied into the arches on either side. Most builders stagger the center bricks into the arch on either side so they're supported by the arch, not just the mortar. If you built it without tying the bricks into the arch, and the mortar bond between the middle bricks and the arch bricks to either side breaks - then they could drop into your oven. Not saying it will. But I could see how it could happen. But then you also could have them sitting on top of your arch, which one couldn't see in that picture.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #373  
Old 06-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Les's Avatar
Les Les is offline
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 2,842
Default Re: K79 Oven Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by K79 View Post
I'm waiting 28 days. My first fire will be June 29. Don't rush your dome. You'll get it done when it's done. I know easier said than done. Your's is looking good !
Seems a little conservative. I may have waited a week because of a short vacation. Came back and went full throttle out of the gate - zero cracks. There is no guarantee that time is the answer. I have a driveway that is 20 years old and it's getting cracks
__________________
Check out my pictures here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Reply With Quote
  #374  
Old 06-13-2013, 06:36 PM
K79's Avatar
K79 K79 is offline
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 389
Default Re: K79 Oven Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
I think David means the bricks between your two arches that curve up toward your flue - which appear not to be tied into the arches on either side. Most builders stagger the center bricks into the arch on either side so they're supported by the arch, not just the mortar. If you built it without tying the bricks into the arch, and the mortar bond between the middle bricks and the arch bricks to either side breaks - then they could drop into your oven. Not saying it will. But I could see how it could happen. But then you also could have them sitting on top of your arch, which one couldn't see in that picture.
Take a look at post #354 and #355. There are no bricks between my inner and outer arch. There is only my inner and outer. Those cuts you see I cut into my outer arch bricks.
Reply With Quote
  #375  
Old 06-13-2013, 06:38 PM
K79's Avatar
K79 K79 is offline
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 389
Default Re: K79 Oven Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Seems a little conservative. I may have waited a week because of a short vacation. Came back and went full throttle out of the gate - zero cracks. There is no guarantee that time is the answer. I have a driveway that is 20 years old and it's getting cracks
Might be but I have so much going on here to keep me busy why not wait...

As far as your driveway... pavement is a little different than masonry I'ld say if you got 20 years out of your driveway thats pretty good, especially if you live in a freeze/thaw environment.
Reply With Quote
  #376  
Old 06-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Gulf's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,617
Default Re: K79 Oven Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
i like the shape, but is anything stopping those bricks from dropping? They don't appear to be supported or tied in.
I have to agree with David on this. I try to think of every brick, arch, etc. in terms of support. Would that brick, or arch still be structurally sound if the mortar turned to dust?

just sayin'
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #377  
Old 06-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Les's Avatar
Les Les is offline
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 2,842
Default Re: K79 Oven Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by K79 View Post
I've seen others that have done it this way and asked prior and nobody mentioned it was an issue
They may have not been reading your thread. I think Gulf and David have a point. I see no compressive load holding in your vent transition bricks. It looks awesome but what is holding them in place when the mortar bond is compromised?
__________________
Check out my pictures here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Reply With Quote
  #378  
Old 06-13-2013, 07:36 PM
K79's Avatar
K79 K79 is offline
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 389
Default Re: K79 Oven Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
They may have not been reading your thread. I think Gulf and David have a point. I see no compressive load holding in your vent transition bricks. It looks awesome but what is holding them in place when the mortar bond is compromised?
There is 3.5" of brick in the front forming a full arch with all tapered brick creating the compressive load. If I got rid of that mortar right now that arch would still hold true. How could that brick slide down? Something would have to give on the front side of the brick.
Reply With Quote
  #379  
Old 06-13-2013, 07:40 PM
Laborer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 90
Default Re: K79 Oven Build

I think Ken524 did his very similar to yours and as far as I know has reported no problems. I would think that the compression on the one side should hold, provided the arch doesn't move away from the inner arch, it shouldn't be able to drop should it?
__________________
John


Link to my build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #380  
Old 06-13-2013, 07:41 PM
K79's Avatar
K79 K79 is offline
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 389
Default Re: K79 Oven Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbruning View Post
I think Ken524 did his very similar to yours and as far as I know has reported no problems. I would think that the compression on the one side should hold, provided the arch doesn't move away from the inner arch, it shouldn't be able to drop should it?
Amen brother
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oven Curing james Firing Your Oven 335 07-15-2014 07:12 PM
Preparing for steel oven build. scarnucci Other Oven Types 31 07-06-2014 11:39 AM
Chirobuggy's 42inch oven build chirobuggy Pompeii Oven Construction 63 06-20-2013 09:01 PM
Sutto's Fremantle Oven Build sutto Pompeii Oven Construction 4 02-17-2010 11:54 PM
All things being equal Lester Newbie Forum 13 12-21-2009 01:26 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC