Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: K79 Oven Build

sorry it looks like perhaps I misunderstood your measurements....

Not sure what you mean by vent landing? You mean the flat bit that the SS chimney vent plate sits on? If your opening is 41 sq in and you are doing your best to taper into the 7" diameter hole then I think you will be good.

Neil
Old 05-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by boerwarrior View Post
sorry it looks like perhaps I misunderstood your measurements....

Not sure what you mean by vent landing? You mean the flat bit that the SS chimney vent plate sits on? If your opening is 41 sq in and you are doing your best to taper into the 7" diameter hole then I think you will be good.

Neil
By vent landing I'm referring to the flat area directly under your chimeny between your inner and outer arch. Yes I'm doing my best but we'll see
Old 05-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Journeyman

Ok that's what I thought! Yes, mine is 5" deep so less than a brick length from front to back! Which means I will be able to use full bricks to frame the flat chimney support.

Yours sounds fine to me. Why are the experienced people not weighing in? Do they enjoy watching the newbies trade theories?

Oh well, next year you and I will be the smart ones!

Neil
Old 05-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It all looks good to me except for the thickness of your bottom courses. I predict that you will not achieve burn off there, and also predict that it will make absolutely no difference in the performance of your oven. Looking great!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Ok that's what I thought! Yes, mine is 5" deep so less than a brick length from front to back! Which means I will be able to use full bricks to frame the flat chimney support.

Yours sounds fine to me. Why are the experienced people not weighing in? Do they enjoy watching the newbies trade theories?

Neil
I don't know. Either way I'm sure we're going to love our ovens.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:23 AM
Journeyman

My "grappling hooks" in action...

Old 05-30-2013, 05:58 AM
Journeyman

Ok instead of hijacking boerwarrior's thread I'll sort of repost my question here:

The issue of placing a parging layer around the entire outside of the oven dome has come up. cobblerdave has strongly recommended this step. What do you all think? I've been following the FB plans and this wasn't in there. Does it go on before or after the curing fires, do i need to let the parging layer cure for two weeks before curing fires...

I'm thinking of using one of the following:

Premix Conproco Type "S"
Dragon Type "S"
Conproco Type "S"
Structural Skin by Conproco
or
NOXCRETE (only one that I can use metal fibers in if you guys think that needs to be done as well)

Anyone use these?

Last edited by K79; 05-30-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Journeyman

I called Conproco and they said that I shouldn't use their product if the temp gets over 500 degrees. So that's out right?? Dragon said no also. The NOXCRETE would work but I'ld have to form around the dome to use it and my slab can't handle the increase in size to be able to add my studs and concrete board for my veneer. ughhhhh..... What about vermicrete would that work....

Local mason told me that the Conproco should hold up to the secondary heat outside the oven. Maybe the Conproco Rep I spoke with was thinking of direct flame contact....

Last edited by K79; 05-30-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by K79 View Post
Ok instead of hijacking boerwarrior's thread I'll sort of repost my question here:

The issue of placing a parging layer around the entire outside of the oven dome has come up. cobblerdave has strongly recommended this step. What do you all think? I've been following the FB plans and this wasn't in there. Does it go on before or after the curing fires, do i need to let the parging layer cure for two weeks before curing fires...

I'm thinking of using one of the following:

Premix Conproco Type "S"
Dragon Type "S"
Conproco Type "S"
Structural Skin by Conproco
or
NOXCRETE (only one that I can use metal fibers in if you guys think that needs to be done as well)

Anyone use these?

I don't mind you hijacking my thread! It is a great question!
Old 05-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:

Neil
I think a shallow entry is a great idea, it makes the oven much easier to work, but is not that easy to do with bricks, it is much easier if you cast the whole entry. You do need to make sure that the oven is adequately flued if you make the entry shallow, because the smoke is closer to the external arch.