Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 10:22 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: K79 Oven Build

did you mean post #268? If yes, I think your dome looks plenty strong to me so far! You still have a couple of inches of overlap which is fine. If anything, you have created a slightly larger buttress at that point which may actually make your dome stronger! (Think stepped pyramids)
Old 05-20-2013, 11:02 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by boerwarrior View Post
did you mean post #268? If yes, I think your dome looks plenty strong to me so far! You still have a couple of inches of overlap which is fine. If anything, you have created a slightly larger buttress at that point which may actually make your dome stronger! (Think stepped pyramids)
Yes 268 sorry. Ok good deal
Old 05-22-2013, 07:33 AM
Journeyman

My outter arch is going to be like Ken's arch. My question is regarding the support of the outter arch agains the inner arch. I now realize I could have tapered the front face of my inner arch out and my outter arch could have rested on that. I really wish I would have done that. So... since that option is out of the question, would it be ok to drill in some pins (shown in red on my arch) and drill some holes on my outter arch bricks to have some support there or is that not needed?

My oven with proposed pins:

Ken's Oven (these are the brick I'm worried about):
Old 05-22-2013, 08:50 AM
Journeyman

K79, I am at exactly the same stage as you and I have a very similar inner and outer arch design!

I was planning on building the outer arch in a similar way to Ken's, and was not going to try and tie the two arches together. I don't think there are any major structural issues there. Also, my chimney and vent plate will serve as a kind of tie-in, but only at the top of course. But this is just my opinion and I will wait to see if others have any opinions on our designs! My inner arch picture is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
K79 Oven Build-inner-arch.jpg  
Old 05-22-2013, 08:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You don't need pins. the arch will be very strong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by boerwarrior View Post
K79, I am at exactly the same stage as you and I have a very similar inner and outer arch design!

I was planning on building the outer arch in a similar way to Ken's, and was not going to try and tie the two arches together. I don't think there are any major structural issues there. Also, my chimney and vent plate will serve as a kind of tie-in, but only at the top of course. But this is just my opinion and I will wait to see if others have any opinions on our designs! My inner arch picture is attached.
I like how you leveled off the arch for your brick layer for your chimney. Are you going stainless steel?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by K79 View Post
I like how you leveled off the arch for your brick layer for your chimney. Are you going stainless steel?
Yes, I have a Duravent stainless steel vent plate.

I actually have a spare one if you need it! But is only 6 inches. Which is fine for my 32 inch oven but might be too small for you. What size is your oven again?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:52 AM
Journeyman

Mine is a 36". I really appreciate the offer. I have already ordered a 7" for mine. When do you think you'll start work on your outer arch?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Journeyman

7" is probably a good size for a 36 inch!

I hope to work on the arch this weekend - it is a long weekend and the weather will be good (hey it's Northern California, the weather is always good here! )

I do have a guy helping me with laying flagstone (actually I am helping him!) so that might take priority....

I am anxious to start some small curing fires!! I don't need a chimney to do that. When do you plan to start firing yours?

Neil
Old 05-22-2013, 11:35 AM
Journeyman

Once my outter arch is complete and my brick is in place for my anchor plate... I'm hoping around the second or third week in June. Planning on waiting 2 weeks from the last time I tough my mortar before I start any fires. I hope that's long enough.