Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: K79 Oven Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
K,

Here are couple pics. The first is the general shape of the tapered brick, they will vary slightly as the bricks move off the center of the arch. The second shows the pencil on the IT at the outer side of the dome and the inner side would be what ever thickness your dome wall is, assuming 1/2 brick or 4.5". The angle of between these two points is the same angle as the rod on the IT, I know mine show more but I move the pencil up to show clarity when I took the pic. The bottom angle of the brick on pic one is the internal arc of the dome set by the IT. Hope this makes sense.
I'm confused what you mean by the pencil on the IT at the outer side of the dome? My dome wall is 4.5". As I get lower on my arch the bricks get a bit longer right? Only the front 3" of the brick will be suppored by the arch wall on each side, extending the brick into the oven by about 4" or so is ok?

I didn't have my top "keystone" arch brick at the right height before. The picture below show's what the brick would look like in the right spot. It has a lot more mass to it now. Does this look ok. I think all these angles correspond to what you mentioned Utahbeehiver. My center brick would be about 6" long. The black line coming from the bottom right of the picture is in line with my IT.

same pic with my IT:

Last edited by K79; 05-16-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

K79,

My taper arch bricks were all approximately the same length only the amount of angle(s) change so the edge protruding at the front of the tapered arch changed but not to overall length. Look at Mr. Chipster pic again and notice that the inner and outer arch angles move in all three planes, x,y,z versa the section drawing off your pc is only x and y. I know it is confusing but you are getting close to visualizing it. The same thread has some other info that may be of help, check a few pages before.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:55 AM
Journeyman

Ok I took today off to try and figure this out haha. I need to taper my arch bricks right so that they don't loosen over time and fall out? Also how do the back of my arch bricks look? Am I missing something? I'm just worried that I'll mortar my arch in and for some reasaon my ring bricks will have some sort of issue blending into my arch.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:35 AM
Master Builder

Looks great to me, I think tapering is a must. I decided to lay the arch bricks in pairs, as the dome bricks meet them. In my cut to fit approach aka: Geometry for dummies, it allows me to correct my mistakes as I go. I wish I had your understanding of CAD, access and your drafting abilities. Keep up the good work!
Attached Thumbnails
K79 Oven Build-sspx0200.jpg   K79 Oven Build-sspx0179.jpg   K79 Oven Build-sspx0196.jpg   K79 Oven Build-sspx0007.jpg  

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 05-17-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

K79,

Looks like you are headed right. I guess it is up to you whether you want to taper the sides, I did, but I have seen other who have not. You do not need to build the full arch right now, just stay ahead of your course with the arch bricks. You do have a complex initial tie-in but once that is done the course should marry to your tapered arch good. You are almost there. One tip, don't build your course right up to the last brick before the arch starts, a dry fit one or two bricks back. Alot easier to adjust those brick for final fitting than the complex tie-in brick.
Attached Thumbnails
K79 Oven Build-40b-course-4-6.27.12.jpg  

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 05-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Journeyman

Thanks so much UtahBeehiver. I never would have had this type of arch in without your help. How does it look... good hopefully Thanks for the kind words Kbartman. Your's is looking excellent! Also I cut my next ring and that will go in tomorrow...my complex bricks on the end are cut and in place

Old 05-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tada,

Knew you could do it. It is hard to see this initially but when the light bulb comes on..........wow. This will help you a lot with avoiding a tear drop or the dreaded droop. Remember to trust your IT not your eyeballs. Good job.

Tip - It you have a diamond cup grinder for an angle grinder it will help fine tune some of the cuts and high spots as well.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 05-20-2013, 05:12 AM
Journeyman

Can someone please tell me when it is safe to take my arch support down? Should I wait until my course closes over the top of it? I want to see what the bottom of my arch looks like and clean it up.

Course 3:

Course 4 (in progress):

Last edited by K79; 05-20-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:12 AM
Journeyman

K79

I removed my arch support after 3 hours so that I could clean the underside. If your mortar mix is correct (high sand ratio) it should have plenty of compressive strength after a few hours. An arch is inherently "self-supporting." Heck, if it doesn't stay up after a few hours on it's own then there is something wrong and it's better to find out now! But yours looks great and I'm sure you will have no problems!

Neil
Old 05-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Journeyman

My thrid ring I had to taper the inside face of the brick and move in by 1/2" to fix my "lack of use" of my IT. Have I created a weak point all around my dome now? You can tell where I'm talking about by the wide ring of mortar around my dome. (It's shown two rings down from the top in post #220.