Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 12:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: K79 Oven Build

Your picture is about exactly how I built my door.
K79 Oven Build-wp_000235.jpg
Welding stainless is tricky. Do you have experience?

Also, personally I found it easier to use blanket inside the cavity than using board. You can stuff it pretty full of the blanket, and you don't have to trim bits off the edges of the board which makes nasty dust.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deejayoh; 05-14-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
Your picture is about exactly how I built my door.
Attachment 35617
Welding stainless is tricky. Do you have experience?

Also, personally I found it easier to use blanket inside the cavity than using board. You can stuff it pretty full of the blanket, and you don't have to trim bits off the edges of the board which makes nasty dust.
I have a welder / sheet metal guy that is right down the street from my office. That is pretty much what I want to do. The only difference is I was going to put some steel on the back side to. Why did you leave the board exposed on the back side of the door?
Old 05-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Journeyman

ooh ooh me! I think I know!

I think he is trying to ensure that the heat is not transmitted directly from the front surface to the back surface of the door, which would happen much more if the front and rear metal surfaces were connected.

How did I do?
Old 05-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Journeyman

I'ld say you're right, but I would think you would want to keep that cal sil board as far away from anything your going to eat as possible.

That cal sil board is very expensive. I have 3 or 4 pieces that I could fit together to fill my door so leaving the back open kind of isn't an option. Unless I used some kind of mesch to hold it in???

Last edited by K79; 05-14-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Journeyman

I wonder if you could spray the CalSil Board with High Temperature paint? I was considering doing that while my build was in progress in order to protect the board against moisture - but it did occur to me it might help stop dust flying around as well.

You would only use the door once the temperature of the oven had stabilized - not while you had a full burn going. So the highest temperature the door would see would be seven or eight hundred degrees (F) I would think? And most of the time it would experience much lower temperatures.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/32...a-19283-2.html (32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California)
Old 05-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

BW/K79,

I guess I am not seeing what you guys are seeing, DJ fully enclosed his door with a SS/CS band and back plate and welded everything closed after stuffing with CF insulation.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by K79 View Post
What did you make your door out of? SS?
It's aluminum - filled w/ loose vermiculite. I think it would help if it went into the oven a bit but I can still cook on the third day - not many are doing better than that with our type of oven. Most of the heat loss is going to be under and around the dome - insulate that well and you will be golden.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by K79 View Post
That is pretty much what I want to do. The only difference is I was going to put some steel on the back side to. Why did you leave the board exposed on the back side of the door?
It's steel on all sides. The silver you see is just the result of grinding off my ugly welds

You're lucky to have a metal worker friend. But Stainless also costs about 5x as much for the metal

Old 05-15-2013, 05:36 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
It's steel on all sides. The silver you see is just the result of grinding off my ugly welds

You're lucky to have a metal worker friend. But Stainless also costs about 5x as much for the metal
He quoted me $150 to make the door. I thought that sounded reasonable.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:33 AM
Journeyman

So I've been covering my oven with a tarp to keep it safe from the rain we've been getting up here in Maine. I read in another post NOT to cover it in a tarp and to spary it down. Can anyone verify this? I'm using HeatStop and I thought I didn't need to wet the mortar? Also can I leave the tarp over my oven?