Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 05:59 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: K79 Oven Build

Do my vent arch bricks need to be taperd or is the above design ok?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

K79,

IMHO, I would try and avoid the narrow "chip" key. Based on what I am seeing on your build you have access to a saw and skill that allows you to taper your bricks and that is the direction I would go but an option would be to use a mortar joint on the bottom portion of the arch across the entire arch, roughly an 1/8", to make up the gap in the middle. But again the inner arch is not as visible as the outer arch.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Journeyman

Ok, thanks for smacking some sense back into me UtahBeehiver. Below is the new design. My keystone is not tapered here, only way to make it fit, but there are mortar joints on each side at the top that make it 1/4" larger than the bottom. Also at Location "A" marked below is this connection ok? I notice some people make a lip on their vent wall bricks to rest the first brick on and some don't. I don't see the need for it here .... right?

Old 05-07-2013, 07:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I did a full arch so this is above my pay grade so others will have to respond to the Location A question. While you are at it you may need to consider some type of buttressing of your vertical wall, again I did not do this type of arch but the opionions of those who did seem to lean towards some type of buttressing.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 05-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

K79,

Your arch location "A" will not be a problem. I would be concerned about no taper on the keystone. We have seen one that slid out.

Russell is correct about supporting the vertical wall, it's the safe thing to do.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:32 AM
Journeyman

Ok, how does this look ??

Old 05-08-2013, 07:52 AM
Master Builder

I would taper all bricks. It seems to me that any brick that does not have a taper could become loose when any mortar falls out. Where can the mortar go when the taper keeps it from falling out, like your keystone? The flipped bricks will want to fall out as soon as any mortar becomes loose as with any straight bricks ........Just my opinion.

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 05-08-2013 at 08:03 AM. Reason: added straight bricks
Old 05-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
I would taper all bricks. It seems to me that any brick that does not have a taper could become loose when any mortar falls out. Where can the mortar go when the taper keeps it from falling out, like your keystone? The flipped bricks will want to fall out as soon as any mortar becomes loose as with any straight bricks ........Just my opinion.
your right. back to the drawing board.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Journeyman

Looking good! I am about one month behind you and I plan to shamelessly steal some of your ideas! Your photos are great! This weekend I will lay my insulation board and floor bricks. Did you make a decision yet on the thermal break? Will you have one?

My build is here:
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...nia-19283.html (32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California)

Neil
Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by boerwarrior View Post
Looking good! I am about one month behind you and I plan to shamelessly steal some of your ideas! Your photos are great! This weekend I will lay my insulation board and floor bricks. Did you make a decision yet on the thermal break? Will you have one?

My build is here:
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...nia-19283.html (32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California)

Neil
Thanks for the kind words and feel free to use any of my ideas. I've done the same with others on the site. I decided not to do a thermal break with my oven.

I'll check out your build too.