Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: K79 Oven Build

Ok, I know I'm not imagining this, but it is acceptable to have my soldiers resting on the insulation board and not the oven floor bricks right. Isn't that actually the preferred method that way you can replace the oven floor bricks over time?
Old 03-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by K79 View Post
Ok, I know I'm not imagining this, but it is acceptable to have my soldiers resting on the insulation board and not the oven floor bricks right. Isn't that actually the preferred method that way you can replace the oven floor bricks over time?
It's a matter of choice as to soldiers on/off floor - but yes it's acceptable to place them on the *insulation* (I typed floor earlier) and many many ovens have been built that way (including mine)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deejayoh; 03-03-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Journeyman

Does it matter if you use common brick or firebrick for the vent landing and arch? Do you want to use common brick so it holds up to wet weather conditions? If so do you still use high heat mortar with the common brick?
Old 03-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Master Builder

I was in the same boat, since i was finishing in red bricks i wanted to skip the firebricks and just do red bricks. I was advised to use firebrick as the arch and chimney transition gets really hot. However when you think about it red bricks can definitely handle the heat, its not direct flames? just heat going up. I have no answer to your question, but id be interested to see what other say. Either way you should use high heath mortar aka homebrew mix.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by K79 View Post
Does it matter if you use common brick or firebrick for the vent landing and arch? Do you want to use common brick so it holds up to wet weather conditions? If so do you still use high heat mortar with the common brick?
I would use Firebrick for the arch as it does see direct flame and gets very hot.

The floor of the landing stays at reasonable temps and could be common brick.I would not mortar the floor of the entry until you reach the decorative arch.

Provide a thermal break at the inner arch/oven floor to reduce heat transfer to the commons if you are concerned this will help.

Chip
Old 03-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You need to use firebrick for your vent. It will get very hot, as all the gases escaping from the oven go through it. There is flame going through there too when you are firing the oven.

You can use normal brick for a decorative arch at the front of the oven.

For the amount of brick in the vent, you are probably only looking at $10 or $15 cost difference to go with firebrick

Old 03-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Master Builder

All good points.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:11 AM
Journeyman

Is there any limit to the length of your vent landing? I was looking at making mine 12". Didn't know if that was too long or if it's just personal preference. I'm thinking of having a 8" dia. metal plate fabricated and using that for my flue vent, then adding clay flue liner above that and bricking around that. Trying to make my flue vent nice and big. The clay flue liner I'll be using is 8" x 12".
Old 03-11-2013, 06:10 AM
Journeyman

I'm trying to figure out my vent and arch design. Having no experience with laying brick I have concerns with it being stable. Please let me know if this design looks stable, and if the vent landing and vent itself are sized ok for a 40" oven. They are a little different than the FB plans. I'm going to be using 8" x 12" clay flue liner and buiding up around that with brick 3' high.

Thanks all.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:19 AM
Journeyman

As everyone here knows by now I tend to over analyze things a bit. I had to get the pre-construction nerves, jitters, and just a sense of being overwhelmed out of my system. I picked up a few bricks just to see how they would cut and I feel a lot better now that I have a feel for it. I won't be using any of these and my soldiers need to be cut at an angle but here they are