Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 06:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: K79 Oven Build

K79 Maybe this will help. This is how I fasten my anchor plate. First two pics are looking at the bottom. I cut out the bricks to inset the anchor plate. This was the top my chimney. There are other pics on my picassa album.
Attached Thumbnails
K79 Oven Build-62-cap-8.30.12.jpg   K79 Oven Build-62a-cap-bottom-8.30.12.jpg   K79 Oven Build-63b-anchor-plate-9.8.12.jpg   K79 Oven Build-62b-cap-top-8.30.12.jpg  
Kurtloup likes this.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:25 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
K79 Maybe this will help. This is how I fasten my anchor plate. First two pics are looking at the bottom. I cut out the bricks to inset the anchor plate. This was the top my chimney. There are other pics on my picassa album.
That's awesome. The only issue I have is space. How long is your vent landing? Must have used a brick and a half at least. I'll take a look at your album. How did you make those nice round cuts in the brick? If I build mine like Ken's that would leave me just under 3/4" in front of my chimney to put my 1/2" concrete board. Your method the firebrick would be sticking out beyond my concrete board. hmmmm
Old 03-26-2013, 06:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mine is an exposed igloo and not enclosed so space was not an issue. Landing is about 14-15". I cut small sections/slivers out of the brick alot of feathering like you did on the floor arch then took and angle grinder with a cupped diamond wheel to finish final shape.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 03-26-2013, 07:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by K79 View Post
Shouldn't the opening under his anchor plate be 50.26 sqin to maximize the effectiveness of his 8" chimney. Since a 7" chimney can handle just over 38sqin would that have been a better fit????
To be honest, I didn't do any "flue math" when I built my vent. That's way above my knowledge base.

After spending years as a kid playing with campfires and lighting fireplaces, I was reasonably sure that if I gave the heat a fairly simple, direct path, physics would take care of the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s
Actually a bit of restriction can be a good thing because it creates a Venturi effect and increases the velocity of the flow in that area.
I can, without a doubt, confirm this. I never get smoke out the front of the oven. When the chimney heats up after a couple of minutes, the smoke is literally sucked out of the oven. It's fun to see it accelerate through the flue. There are some serious convective forces at work.

If you are sweating over a few sq. inches, relax and don't get too caught up in the math; we aren't building cooling towers for nuclear reactors . Give yourself a reasonably sized vent opening and it'll work (as it has for thousands of years).
cobblerdave, ATK406 and reccymech like this.

Updated!

Last edited by Ken524; 03-26-2013 at 07:17 AM. Reason: bad grammer
Old 03-29-2013, 08:01 AM
Journeyman

Updated Photos. I need more bricks:

Old 04-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Journeyman

Hello All,

I'm wondering about my 3" of Fiber Blanket that I'm going to wrap my oven in once the dome is complete. Do I wrap it and compress it with chicken wire to hold in place or should I make sure not to compress it against the oven dome? Since I'm doing an enclosure and burying it in vermiculite I don't need to put anything else over it correct?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you are doing a housing, you don't need to wrap it with chicken wire, and I don't think you want to compress it (not that you could compress it much anyway). I found that a spool of rebar wire worked really well to anchor it to the dome. I wrapped a ring around the bottom of the dome, and then criss-crossed wire from that to hold the insulation in place. It doesn't take too much pressure to hold it.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Journeyman

Ok, I know I'm definitely thinking ahead here but your first fire and your subsequent ones to help cure the dome; shouldn't those be done before the insulation blanket goes on? I just watched two new video's on YouTube where they were done after the blanket was put on and one after the stucco was put on.

I now know that I've been worrying too much about mortar joints. Both ovens in the video's I watched had mortar joints well over an inch !!! I'm still aiming for my 1/8" mortar joints
Old 04-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Master Builder

Hi K79,

I start curing mine a week before I insulated. I also it to sun and wind dry a week before the first curing fire, I wanted to drive as much moisture out, before insulation. Firing does not effect the drying of the stucco, because a well insulated oven's exterior doesn't above ambient temperture.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by K79 View Post
Ok, I know I'm definitely thinking ahead here but your first fire and your subsequent ones to help cure the dome; shouldn't those be done before the insulation blanket goes on? I just watched two new video's on YouTube where they were done after the blanket was put on and one after the stucco was put on.

I now know that I've been worrying too much about mortar joints. Both ovens in the video's I watched had mortar joints well over an inch !!! I'm still aiming for my 1/8" mortar joints
I think pre drying is a good idea less chance for trapped moisture.

Oh, by the way most of us have tools we use to build our ovens but for the life of me I cannot figure out what you are using the bicycle pump and tree trimmer for...

Chip