Old 09-26-2009, 02:59 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: John's 42inch Aussie WFO

Hi Neil,

Yes I heard the unfortunate news of Paul's Passing. I also read that both Paul's bricklayer and yourself had begun work and have nearly completed his project. I think that it is absolutely fantastic that you are able to assist his family, Well done!!

The "Indispensable Tool" was a brilliant idea from Paul and has come a long way since then with people refining this as they see fit. From my perspective as I have no brick laying experience I think it will be perfect for me.

The idea of a cut off saw had crossed my mind but the amount of fine dust that would be generated would be substantial. I have located a bricksaw for about $900 and am currently trying to reduce this amount.

Your build looks great and I cannot believe you nocked most of it up in a couple of days!! I have a question around the render finnish. Have you added some type of water repellent to this to avoid moister penetration?

Last edited by John K; 09-26-2009 at 03:16 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: John's 42inch Aussie WFO

John,
The final render that I used was simply a waterproofing render as listed on the bags of Portland cement. 1 part portland to 3 sand, rendered to around a half inch thick.
I am yet to find (but haven't been looking too hard lately) some 2" mosaic tiles to finish the dome, (most have been in 'pool and spa' colours) but might just leave as it is and continue the new outdoor kitchen/patio roof over the oven:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html (Neill's new kitchen underway!)

As far as the cut off saw, set up besides the blade a fine irrigation sprayer and no dust! Cheap and easy even if you but new, Bunnings for a saw and ebay for a diamond blade, possibly $2-300 all up! Soak your bricks in water and just don't spray the motor with the water.

Cheers.

Neill
Old 09-26-2009, 04:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi John k
Quote:
Whilst I am trying to source a bricksaw to begin the dome I thought I would start on the "indispensible tool".
If your just cutting your bricks in half a good wide bricklayers chisel will do a fine job.. Its just one good shot with a hammer.... The inside finished face go to the oven and the rough cut is hidden under the dome render..

Angle cutting takes some practice though,, Thats where your hand grinder will help..

Are you planning a lot of intricate cuts ?

Mark
Old 09-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Peasant

Quote:
As far as the cut off saw, set up besides the blade a fine irrigation sprayer and no dust! Cheap and easy even if you but new, Bunnings for a saw and ebay for a diamond blade, possibly $2-300 all up! Soak your bricks in water and just don't spray the motor with the water.

Solid gold post! We Aussies dont have the harbour freight saw option. Minimum = $600 for a wet bricksaw
Old 09-26-2009, 11:38 PM
Laborer

Ive got a wood cutting compound mitre saw which im considering using. Can adjust angles both ways. Maybe a good soaking of the bricks and a fine spray will do it (along with diamond blade). Ill give it a go and report back with pics.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: John's 42inch Aussie WFO

3G,
you can also try to deflect the dust into a large plastic bucket/crate through a water spray to settle the dust. I would be careful using a quality saw (compound mitre) to ensure that no dust gets into the motor, nor the rails get wet and either rust or corrode, A good wipedown with CRC or WD40 will suffice.
Look, the angles that you cut are NOT CRITICAL as you can always use a little thicker mortar/adhesive, rather than getting an almost dry fit!

Neill
Old 09-27-2009, 05:53 AM
Apprentice

Hi guys.

Everybody's ideas are great but I would be cautious with utilising non water resistant tools around water. You might get a kick you weren't expecting!!

I found a guy based in South Australia who will arrange to deliver a new Brick saw to my home (Syd) for $880.00.

After I finnish with it I will sell it on ebay so even if I get $500-$600 for it I will have done okay considering hiring one cost $150 a day plus blade wear and tear.

I will post some picks once to hand.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

great idea john,,,

like you said still cheaper than renting..

Mark
Old 10-01-2009, 03:54 AM
Apprentice

Received my Bricksaw today and am really happy with it. It's a bargain for what it is. I'll sell it when I'm done and should recoupe most of my money!!
Attached Thumbnails
John's 42inch Aussie WFO-dsc03888.jpg   John's 42inch Aussie WFO-dsc03886.jpg  
Old 10-01-2009, 04:00 AM
Apprentice

I finished laying the insulation bricks and am ready to start on the Cooking floor
Attached Thumbnails
John's 42inch Aussie WFO-dsc03889.jpg   John's 42inch Aussie WFO-dsc03891.jpg