Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Joe's 42 in Port Townsend (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/joes-42-port-townsend-18262.html)

Breadjunkie 08-23-2012 11:49 AM

Joe's 42 in Port Townsend

Hello to all from a new builder,
Thanks to all the builders who have posted their projects on this forum. It will make my project a lot easier than slogging through it alone. I have planned to build an oven for several years and finally got started on it.

I know there has been a fair amount of discussion regarding fire bricks, but after reading through it all I still have some questions and would appreciate any opinions or comments. Locally, I have a choice of buying either a "low duty" brick from Mutual Materials (16% Alumina/1800 deg F) for 1.45 each or a medium duty brick from another supplier (2700 deg F/ Alumina N/A) for 2.22 each. I would like to hear from anyone who has used the low duty brick from Mutual. How has it held up and would you recommend it?

Thanks again and I will try to photo document my project as others have so generously done.

Joe

Capt 08-23-2012 12:47 PM

Re: Joe's 42 in Port Townsend

Welcome from another new member! Looking forward to your build pics!

I am in the process of building mine too, I plan on posting a thread coming up.

deejayoh 08-23-2012 02:21 PM

I bought the bricks from Mutual Materials. They work just fine

Breadjunkie 08-23-2012 06:29 PM

Dennis,

Hi,

I thought you probably used them. So they seem to be holding up so far? I had one person swear to me that they would not hold up in an oven. Said they would crumble and fall apart. Maybe they just wanted to sell me the more expensive bricks........Do you think your oven ever gets above 1800 deg F?

Joe

deejayoh 08-23-2012 06:41 PM

I actually thought they were medium duty - but whatever they are, they will hold up just fine. The max heat you will ever see in your oven is probably ~1000F. You will never see 1800F or anything close to that. Most builders actually prefer the low-duty if they can find them as they are more than sufficient and easier to cut.

If I had to guess, I would say that the person swearing to you they wouldn't hold up has probably never even seen a pizza oven.

Plenty of people have used these bricks with no problems.

Breadjunkie 08-24-2012 06:02 PM

Thanks Dennis. After reading your comments and going through the other various threads and posts I went to Mutual today and bought the bricks. Glad to have that dilemma behind me! Now I can get back to work.

The base is finished and has a coat of Qwikwall all around the inside. Next comes a couple of little poured in place pieces for the BBQ pit so I can set the fire brick liner. then I will form for the hearth and counters on either side of the oven and around the BBQ.

Photos coming as soon as I figure out how to attach them.

Joe

Breadjunkie 08-24-2012 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, here's the first shot. Corner oven, wide counter on left, and BBQ pit on right.

Breadjunkie 08-30-2012 11:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A little progress. Hearth slab poured. Once again I am reminded that concrete finishing is best left to the pros. Anyway, I am glad to have this part done. I expect there will be a bit of repair work after the forms come off.

UtahBeehiver 08-31-2012 03:24 AM

Nice start breadjunkie, looking forward to watching your build.

texman 08-31-2012 06:50 AM

Very nice! Your setup looks great and so does the concrete.
Welcome to the fun.
Tracy