Old 10-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Joe's 42 in Port Townsend

Many thanks to all you guys whose threads I followed that saved me from the "dreaded droop." I think I was able to head it off at the pass! I always wondered what that was all about and sure enough I saw it start to happen with the transition bricks. It's hard to lay out those bricks so they sit where they are supposed to. You can see from the interior shots that the fits are far from perfect but the top edges are level and that's what counts. In the end only the pizzas will ever see those joints! Also, because I started out with full bricks, the interior is not smooth, but "textured" due to the overhang.

Closing in on it now, another 2 courses and I'll be ready for the plug.

Thanks for the compliments.
Attached Thumbnails
Joe's 42 in Port Townsend-imgp0071.jpg   Joe's 42 in Port Townsend-imgp0076.jpg   Joe's 42 in Port Townsend-imgp0079.jpg   Joe's 42 in Port Townsend-imgp0080.jpg  
Old 10-24-2013, 10:14 AM
Laborer

Location: Willamette [will-lam-it] Valley, Oregon [ore-y-gun]

I like your simplified approach to the build. It appears to save a lot of nit-picky cuts.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You know, I agree with gmchm. I think you are on to something with the way you built this. Did you shoot for the same number of bricks in each course by reducing the size? Seems like a very clever approach to avoiding having the gaps line up - and it may reduce cracks. And the overhangs have a kind of op-art look to them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Peasant

Ha! If you watched me cutting bricks you'd probably think I was nit-picking! However, if I had not tapered and angled the cheeks, the cuts would all be 90's. It would add a lot of mortar though.
Hey, are you one of those "Black Sheep Gathering" folks? My wife is a spinner and we attended this year.

Dennis,
Yes, I started my layout with whole bricks and they have gotten increasingly smaller with each course. I just cut the second to last course and they are down to 2 inches across the bottom inside. The last course will be interesting if I try to maintain the same joint spacing. 15 bricks that will be slivers.
I don't know if the wider spaced joints at the bottom will result in a stronger overall dome, but it probably doesn't hurt. It will be interesting to see where the "expansion joints" appear.

Regards,

Joe
Old 10-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Peasant

Plug Day!! It's over......
Attached Thumbnails
Joe's 42 in Port Townsend-imgp0082.jpg   Joe's 42 in Port Townsend-imgp0092.jpg   Joe's 42 in Port Townsend-imgp0107.jpg   Joe's 42 in Port Townsend-imgp0100.jpg  
Old 10-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadjunkie View Post
It's over......
BillShut, its just beginning, the journey of fine food for you, your family and your friends.....

Last edited by brickie in oz; 10-26-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:55 AM
Master Builder

Looking good Breadjunkie...... Where's inside photos?

KB

Old 10-27-2013, 07:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Brickie calls it right, but it is more fun work and everyone will marvel, "you made this" while their mouth is full.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 10-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Peasant

I meant to say "this part is over." I am ecstatic and overjoyed to be at this stage. Now it has to rest for awhile with the rains and cool weather imminent. I will put up a temporary cover so it can air dry until I can get back to work on it. Thanks for comments.

Here's a couple of interior shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Joe's 42 in Port Townsend-imgp0095.jpg   Joe's 42 in Port Townsend-imgp0098.jpg  
Old 10-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Apprentice

That's a good looking dome. I like that you persisted with the 15 "bricks" per course.

Good transition too.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.