Old 08-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Joe's 42 in Port Townsend

Thanks for looking in Russel and Tracy. I am looking forward to the next challenge in the dome and arch. Yahoo!
Old 09-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ooh. I like the BBQ pit. I kind of wish I had done that instead of gas BBQ. In the end I decided I wanted something that I could use on a moment's notice but seeing those Parilla grills in South America gave me pause...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Peasant

Dennis,

Well it's not exactly a parilla so I hope it works. I do plan to make it so the cooking grill can be raised and lowered, though.

As a followup to my recent concrete work, I wanted to show some details that didn't turn out as good as they could or should have. We didn't vibrate or work the "mud" along the form edges enough to make the cream fill in all the voids so I have a lot of repair work to do in those areas. I have done enough concrete work to know better but it escaped me this time. Even though I mixed the concrete a little on the wet side it still didn't flow nicely along the form edges. So for those who are at the hearth slab stage and want nice clean edges, remember to "jiggle" the concrete and tap on the form boards to get the cream to flow nicely along the edges.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Joe's 42 in Port Townsend-edge.jpg   Joe's 42 in Port Townsend-edge2.jpg  
Old 09-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Joe -
Only show your successes, never your mistakes!

but really, is that edge ever going to show? Mine look like that too, but will be covered up with stone in the end.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Peasant

Since my last post way back in September too many side tracks kept me away from my project. Finally, it has made it back to the top of the list, so here I go.

First of all it is now a 33 incher or thereabouts. I decided to start with whole bricks. By trial and error and a little math, the layout with an 18 inch wide opening came out to 14 bricks and the 2 arch starters. This size fits my hearth better than a 42 inch anyway. The full bricks will mean more overhang, but that will diminish with each course as the bricks get shorter.

The forum has been a great inspiration and a priceless resource in trying to visualize how this thing goes together. Thanks to everyone who chooses to participate. Hopefully I will offer something to others who are thinking of building an oven, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Joe's 42 in Port Townsend-imgp0023.jpg  
Old 08-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Glad to see you are back. At some point you will need to change to half bricks. Don't waste too much energy trying to cut fulls to fit. Bricks chains are seldom equal numbers and sizes. Make corrections on the front half best work on the back half. This is what you see when you peer in. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Peasant

Thanks for the advice Russel. I have not drawn out the whole oven, but I was hoping to just keep lining up the joints at the mid points of the bricks under them. As each course circumference decreases so will the size of the brick. I may waste more brick this way and there may not be any advantage, it's just another way to do it....Or am I totally missing something here?

Anyway, today I set the floor and am ready to lay the first course.

Joe
Old 08-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadjunkie View Post
Thanks for the advice Russel. I have not drawn out the whole oven, but I was hoping to just keep lining up the joints at the mid points of the bricks under them. As each course circumference decreases so will the size of the brick. I may waste more brick this way and there may not be any advantage, it's just another way to do it....Or am I totally missing something here?

Anyway, today I set the floor and am ready to lay the first course.

Joe
It is significant work to try to cut each brick smaller, inside of the left and right of the inner arch will never be seen by anyone other than people watching you build the oven and after it is built the only way to see those bricks is with a mirror or to crawl into the oven. Both very unlikely.

Take Russel's advice and make adjustment bricks in the areas near the inner arch to the right and left. You will save much time and aggravation.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Peasant

Chip,
That's my plan. Make adjustments next to the arch. In looking around the forum it looks like everyone wrestles with joint alignment, but as you said, in the end all you ever see is what's right across from the opening and once you are cooking you don't even pay much attention to that!

Thanks for looking in and the advice.

Joe
Old 08-14-2013, 11:46 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Joe's Oven in Port Townsend

Lost a few days, but made a little progress today. The floor is in place and the first course mortared and second course cut. Then it started raining, so tomorrow I hope to proceed with the second course and start cutting third course bricks which are the first to start tilting inward. And of course, the arch.
Attached Thumbnails
Joe's 42 in Port Townsend-imgp0028.jpg   Joe's 42 in Port Townsend-imgp0034.jpg   Joe's 42 in Port Townsend-imgp0036.jpg