Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 10:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Jim's Build for the Common Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkramer View Post
Beautiful. Your insulating bricks don't bear any weight above them, right?
Just call me Al, no need for beautiful.....

I have insulating fire bricks in the base of the chimney, from memory there is about 600-800kgs sitting on them, so they can take weigh alright.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Be careful if using insulating firebricks in the entry if in an area where they will be subject to wear and tear. Although they will insulate very well, they are quite soft and brittle and will abrade easily if banged with bits of wood or metal peels.you should be able to arrange it so they are not exposed.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Apprentice

I decided to go with an arch, instead of a straight opening, based on forum feedback. I removed one opening brick from each side, to lower the starting point of the arch, so I could make a steeper arch that makes a 12.5" opening. You guys think I have to buttress it, or is it steep enough?

So now I have to cut arch bricks. Me and a friend stared at it for 20 minutes before calling it a day. It was too confusing to figure out how to determine the angle of the cut on the inside of the oven, that the dome bricks will be resting on. Any tips for how to figure that out? I'll read through a few more threads, so it will be more clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Jim's Build for the Common Man-img_20130901_140120_473.jpeg  

Old 09-01-2013, 06:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Any arch should be buttressed.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Didn't think that was necessary for a hemispheric arch.
Brickie?

Last edited by oasiscdm; 09-01-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Unless the material the arch is made of is strong enough in tension you need to. Even a hemispherical arch still has force vectors not in line with the legs.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Didn't think that was necessary for a hemispheric arch.
Brickie?
Another one asking the same question on the same day.
Read me.

If you are loading up the arch then you would be advised to buttress, for a stainless flue you will be wasting your time.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Apprentice

The butress complicates the matter of a heat break between the entry arch and vent arch, since the butress to the entry arch would have to be insulated from the entry arch, too.

Just when I thought I had this thing figured out...

It does seem that a heat break can keep the oven retain heat with the door closed. Or maybe not, since even an insulated heat break and insulated door won't cover all of the exposed brick of the entry arch, which will then send all that heat up the chimney.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkramer View Post
The butress complicates the matter of a heat break between the entry arch and vent arch, since the butress to the entry arch would have to be insulated from the entry arch, too. ............
Take a look at Kbartman's build (My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida). The way his heatbreak is designed the rope packing buttresses the entry arch to the vent arch. The vent arch, since it is the one that is really loaded up, will need the heavy duty buttressing.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: Jim's Build for the Common Man

Gudday
Isn't the arch in question is the entrance of the oven dome and is in fact buttressed by the dome itself.?d
Further an arched entrance way/ chimney structure,that was built separate from the dome ie has a heat break from the dome requires buttressing?
Regards dave
david s likes this.

My Build

My Door