Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Jim's Build for the Common Man

I like the idea of the cast lintel - but if saving time is your goal, an arch might be the faster approach. Is the lintel in the vent? If so, it would need to cast of refractory + SS needles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:58 PM
Apprentice

Here's a very rough sketch of the lintel as I see it now. It started out as a way to make it all faster, by making just a straight block to hold up the chimney (round clay flue, or duratech). But now it's turned into something that will take more time and experimentation than an arch, which I'm fine with now, since I really like the idea.

The top of the oven opening will be supported by angle iron, and the lintel will be separate from the dome, in front of a heat break (that I still have to work out.) I'll reinforce the lintel with thin rebar. Not sure how I'll get the curved look yet - by carving a block of setting concrete, or using chicken wire for curved parts. It might not come to as much of a point on either side as in the sketch, but this is roughly the idea - something shaped and curved instead of a straight edged block.

Deejayoh, if it's in front of a heat break, you think I'll still have to use refractory? Not sure I can carve and shape that.
Attached Thumbnails
Jim's Build for the Common Man-lintel.jpeg  

Old 08-20-2013, 11:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkramer View Post
Deejayoh, if it's in front of a heat break, you think I'll still have to use refractory? Not sure I can carve and shape that.
Yes, that part of the oven gets quite hot. All the gasses leaving the oven (and sometimes a fair bit of flame) pass through the top of the flue arch. I would cast, not carve w/refractory.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:

The top of the oven opening will be supported by angle iron
Bad move, steel and fire dont like each other, or more correctly they love each other too much.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:47 AM
Apprentice

Seems like it could be bad, to have red hot iron under the weight of bricks. However, it's in the fb basic plans. I would think that means that other people did it a long time ago, before an arch became more popular. Don't know if those ovens are still standing. Do you think the angle iron could bend or break? The other option would be to span the opening with a cast lintel, but would that be strong enough across a 20" span, since I can't use rebar to reinforce it?

Old 08-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
Yes, that part of the oven gets quite hot. All the gasses leaving the oven (and sometimes a fair bit of flame) pass through the top of the flue arch. I would cast, not carve w/refractory.
Sometimes a fair bit of flame.
Attached Thumbnails
Jim's Build for the Common Man-image.jpg  
Old 08-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Seems like it could be bad, to have red hot iron under the weight of bricks. However, it's in the fb basic plans. I would think that means that other people did it a long time ago, before an arch became more popular. Don't know if those ovens are still standing. Do you think the angle iron could bend or break? The other option would be to span the opening with a cast lintel, but would that be strong enough across a 20" span, since I can't use rebar to reinforce it?
Gudday
My ovens got the steel lintel on the oven entrance and still standing, and I recon will survive a bit longer. Yes I have cracks, no biggies and also rust, not that bad.
Would I build that way again, No. I have built an arch into the outer entrance now and I can tell you they are not that hard to do. And with the help of this lot you will be able to put up an arch ,no worries .
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 08-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Apprentice

At this point, I'm not going with a straight opening for time savings. I actually think the straight line will looks better with the lintel, instead of a brick arch. But maybe I'll do an arch for longevity.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
At this point, I'm not going with a straight opening for time savings. I actually think the straight line will looks better with the lintel, instead of a brick arch. But maybe I'll do an arch for longevity.
I actually went with the flat entry, but being a barrel shape the flames dont exit the oven proper, they go up the internal flue instead.

My flat entry is made entirely of insulating fire brick (no lintel) and just glued into place with refractory bog.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Apprentice

Brickie-

I just saw your oven pics. Beautiful. Your insulating bricks don't bear any weight above them, right? Whatever spans that opening in my oven will have bricks on top, so I don't think mortaring them straight across will work.